Saturday, December 13, 2014

He'll Wreck Your Life!

I'm beginning to think that every potential Christian should receive this word of caution: Watch Out! He'll wreck your life!

I have been deeply reminded of this in the last few days. This morning the Holy Spirit drove it home with a line from a book I began reading, Kisses From Katie. In the introduction she writes these few small words that are jam-packed with a lifetime of adventure: "You see, Jesus wrecked my life."

Not 20 minutes later I stood in my kitchen preparing my morning juice and the quiet in our place was too much for the spinning wheels of my mind. I turned on a Christmas CD from a group that my now-grown Abbey listened to in her pre-adolescent years...Jump 5. Their rendition of "Joy to the World" has always hit me in the right place, but today...it flat-out made me cry.

Why?

Because Jesus doesn't just want to "wreck your life"...He came, lived and died so that He could wreck the whole world!

He brought His Kingdom come on "Earth and it is in Heaven." And He has never looked back. 

He wrecked the places where we find our security. He wrecked the notion of who is strong and who is weak. He wrecked the attitudes toward "the least of these". He wrecked deeply-ingrained notions of gender importance. He wrecked who is embraced by the King. He wrecked our hope in the world systems that keep us enslaved. He wrecked the perceptions of why people are poor and just exactly who is poor. And He called His followers to voluntarily let Him wreck their lives...sometimes to the point of death.

So this year, amidst the gifts, the lights, the music, the laughter, the contentment of having our oldest home, and the beauty of a world that at least seems peaceful for a brief season, I will be looking for the Savior that came to wreck my world...my life...what I actually find contentment in...and in where I place my hope.

My Christmas prayer for you is that His Presence, His Emmanuel (God with us!) will wreck your world too!





No comments:

Post a Comment