Thursday, August 29, 2013

I Am Sad. I Am Sad. I Am Sad.

If you say it three times, people know you mean it, right? So why the sadness?

Am I really the only person that when a few months ago the U.S. came out in support of one side and Russia came out in favor of the opposition and both started supplying their respective sides in this Syrian mess...thought, "Oh, crap...this is the next place we're going in!"??? Did no one else see the proverbial handwriting on the wall?

We are supposed to be pulling out of other places where we've been far too long, so we have to find another, right? And what better place than a powder keg that's ready to explode? Iran has already warned the world that this entire region has a shaky peace at best and that we all need to stay out before it implodes. I would like to point out that they have made that warning to all...not just the U.S.

And yet, here we are once again throwing our weight around...telling the world we're ready to strike...and we're not listening to the U.N.saying, "Let the inspectors at least finish their job." Meanwhile, Russia is sending two warships to the Mediterranean Sea. Anyone else out there concerned by this?

While I am grieved at over 100,000 Syrians killed in the last two years and about 2 million forced from their homes into refugee camps and the chemical weapons being used...what will us dropping bombs accomplish? Don't we risk killing more innocent people...like the over 1 million Iraqis that have died at the hands of the U.S.? I know, I know...you can choose to naively believe that your government will only target military arsenals for dropping bombs. Anyone old enough to remember Bill Clinton and the Sudanese aspirin factory bombing? Are we just supposed to say, "Oops...my bad...sorry for blowing up the your source of pain relief when our intel told us you where making chemical weapons."

Have we truly not learned from Iraq and Afghanistan that the police can come in and dictate how you're supposed to live, but if the family in the domestic dispute don't want a better, more peaceful life...no amount of force will change the overall outcome? And just exactly who are we to tell them what "a better life" entails? The arrogance to presume that everyone is miserable if they don't exactly mirror the white man's world is repugnant at best.

I used to reserve my comments like these for private conversations from fear of being placed on some government watch list as subversive. I also used to tell myself I was being a paranoid conspiracy theorist. [Can anyone say Edward Snowden?] So yes, I am taking a risk by publicly asking us to take a step back and think about what we're doing.

But the bigger risk is in the Christian circles I rub elbows with. To proclaim the peacemaking of the Kingdom of God over the patriotism of the U.S. is tantamount to heresy in some hearts and minds. Here again, I've already been deemed a dreaded "Liberal" by the conservatives and a narrow-minded "Conservative" by liberals. So really...do I have anything to lose?

Well, actually I do have a lot to lose. You see, I have a son...a 15 year old son to be exact. And a few years ago as God was walking me through my biggest fears and teaching me to lay them at His feet, I had to reconcile myself that in my lifetime it is a very real possibility that compulsory service in the armed services will begin again. The day I first saw that momma collapse on her front porch in Saving Private Ryan, I knew that could one day be me. Even though my baby boy was only two months old when the movie was released, for the first time...I understood the sting of what mommas like her all over the world have felt when their little boys fight far from home in a war not of their own making.

And we're still losing sons and daughters in far off places that don't really want us there to "help" them. Is Syria yet one more? I really think some of us need to stop and look at the map and remind ourselves where it's located. Do you see the close proximity to Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon, Israel and the small leap over to Egypt. Yeah...Egypt...there's no instability there. Um, Turkey has seen better days too. Many of these countries are overwhelmed caring for the Syrian refugees. Are we prepared to support them and prop them up as their already tenuous resources are tapped by the inevitable influx of more?

So here's what it all comes down to: You have every right to disagree with me and believe that we should run swiftly to save the Syrian people. I am asking you to at least take a moment to stop and think about the consequences. That is something I didn't do with Afghanistan or Iraq and I deeply wish I had.

But for Christians, I am asking you to go one step further. Not only should we stop and think about the consequences, we are called to ask what Jesus (yes, God Incarnate) would say about warring nations. Surprisingly, we don't have to look very far. When Jesus began teaching, one of His first lessons was taught in what we have dubbed, The Sermon on the Mount. In Matthew 5:9 He simply stated, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God." 

You see, that's the other loss I don't want to experience...my "sonship" with God. If I am truly a child of the King, I cannot get around the fact that my Daddy (aka Abba) has told me that to be called His I must live as a peacemaker. God's Kingdom doesn't look like any on earth, yet Jesus told us the Kingdom was here AND not yet. My first allegiance is to Him and no matter how it may offend or perturb others, I am first and foremost to speak as a Daughter of the King.

So go ahead, call me Liberal or call me Conservative and I'll be honest to admit that not pleasing people is greatly disturbing to me. Worrying about what others think of me consumes too much of my time and energy. But I also recognize that God is striving to bring me to a place where no matter the outcome I must "Repent!" or turn away from, the thinking and teaching of this age and embrace the 'Kingdom that is at hand.' (see Matthew 3:2)

If you are a Jesus follower, I am imploring you when all of this brew-ha-ha is spinning and broiling and whirring about and you have to make a choice in the cloud of confusion on exactly which side of the fence you hope to land when the dust settles around our feet, ask yourself where Jesus said we should stand. Personally, I'm being drawn to the Peacemaker's Camp...there seems to be a lot of extra room there. Wanna join me?

4 comments:

  1. I hear ya... Here is a link to Heart for Lebanon. This is run by some friends of ours in Lebanon- They have been working with syrian refugees for several years now. It is a horrible situation. http://www.heartforlebanon.org/
    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the warring kingdoms of earth don't appreciate a peacemaking kingdom (of heaven), Jesus' next beatitude encourages peacemaking disciples to continue his righteousness of speaking prophetically and acting peacefully despite the opposition. "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." And the last beatitude continues along the same line: "Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so men persecuted the prophets who were before you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My "persecution" is quite possibly just in my imagination. I just know I don't fit well with most Midwestern evangelicals. And compared to the rest of the world, I have nothing to complain about. God is simply trying to grow me to a place where I won't care what others think as long as I'm following Him.
      Keep the faith!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your post, Angela! Your writing is excellent! I think the weapons manufacturers are making a lot of money:(

    ReplyDelete