Saturday, August 24, 2013

A Good Steward

Steward is one of those words that people in the church throw around a lot but few outside the church even hear. Yet it's a concept that can be lived out no matter what part of the Journey you're on. Because we are all on a Journey whether we recognize it or not. I tell my kids often that the only difference between us and all other mammals is that we have the God-given ability to stop and think. When our lives are not just a series of knee-jerk, survivalist reactions, we can live the life God intended when He first thought of us.

The crux of being a good steward (as my finite brain sees it) is twofold:

  • Acknowledge that everything belongs to God and I am just the "manager" of what He's given me. 
  • Stop and think if I am using His resources in the most effectively responsible way that I can.
Simple, right?

In theory...Yes. In practice, not so much. 

We in the western world don't have a culture set up for "stop and think." In fact, our consumeristic, capitalistic economy is literally banking on the hope that we will be impulsive. Someone like me with ADD is very familiar with the sting of buyer's remorse. So I have had to give myself permission...and grace...to take this in baby steps. 

Buying locally grown food is great and supporting farmer's markets is awesome. I'll be honest...I don't remember to do it very often. I have no great reasoning behind this. I do remember to go berry picking sometimes. And I even made it to a farm for peaches. But we go through produce so fast around here that trekking out only to the farm is not realistic or even financially viable for us right now. I've chosen a third option...growing our own as much as possible. With this choice it was easier to find an economical, environmentally friendly seed company. And, an AMAZING young start up that donates an aquaponics system to a school when I buy one. 

I don't know that I can always buy Tom's Shoes, but when they donate a pair to a developing country with every pair they sell...I would be remiss if I didn't at least check into it when I need shoes. 

If I need a new purse, you better believe I'm going to try to find one from Stop Traffick Fashion. (They sell jewelry and t-shirts too.) Our co-op can no longer collect BoxTops for education, but I am still cutting them out because it just feels wrong to throw away ten cents that a school could use. I'll pass them on to someone that can use them. 

But the easiest way to live this steward-thing out happened again today. I've done it often enough that I don't even have to think about it now. When checking out at Gordon Food Service, I say, "I need to mention Lifeline Ministries." And, BOOM...Lifeline receives a donation. It really is that simple. If you don't live in Northern Kentucky, ask around. I'm certain there is a soup kitchen or a women's shelter in your area that can benefit from a portion of your purchases. 

This way of living initially may require a little extra effort. But just like me at GFS, eventually it becomes habit. It really takes no more effort to load up our unneeded stuff and drive it to Lifeline, where it is given freely to people who need it by an entirely volunteer staff...than the effort to drive it to Goodwill where bargain hunters snatch up great finds and minimum wage employees are worked hard...while the fat-cat CEO rakes in over 20 MILLION dollars a year. Please tell me you can appreciate the difference.

I've rambled long and I still have a long way to go in living this out. (Remember, baby steps!) I encourage you though, just like making small, life-long changes in what you eat or how you exercise...take the challenge to change one aspect of your buying habits. Whether it's resolving to never again use plastic shopping bags or only buying local lettuce...stop and think about how you can make the Journey a little more meaningful while you still have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment