Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tithing, part 1

Before I begin, I feel a few disclaimers are in order:

1. This is not a judgment on any one community of believers, but rather a pervasive “feeling” I’ve picked up on for as long as I can remember in sermons I've heard, books and articles I've read and especially in Christian financial "advice". I have loved the congregations with whom we have had the blessing to worship and I would not be where I am in my journey today were it not for the amazing pastors and teachers I have been fortunate to know.

2. I acknowledge that this is my issue and possibly mine alone. But I have noticed that when I get an idea that contradicts everything I've been taught about the subject, mull it over for a considerable time and Holy Spirit grows it as He helps me analyze every angle of the issue at hand, there is something He is trying to teach me. When I eventually speak up about it, I have always found that there is someone else (sometimes several someones) that say, ‘You are speaking my heart. I've felt the same way but just didn’t know how to express it.’

3. Before you proceed through this epistle, you should know that I do NOT have all the answers. You will only find your answers in the One that knows what is best for you. You should also know that I am a rebel at heart. My Mom would probably more politely say that I was the “strong-willed child”. Looking back…I am so thankful that I questioned everything. I KNOW this is why I have survived so much in my life…and not just survived, but by the power of God, I have thrived in His Hands. My prayer as you read this and search God’s Word for yourself is that you also would question everything…with the Holy Spirit as your perfect Teacher, Leader and Guide.


Enough…on to the topic at hand!

If you’ve known me at all in the last seven years and have been a part of any regular “churchy” discussions with me, you probably know that I have struggled with the concept of tithing. I now see that I’ve really just struggled with how the concept of tithing has been taught in American churches.

If you’ve listened to what I’ve said at all, you’ll know that my biggest point of contention has always been that I’ll hear someone say basically the following: ‘We’re going to talk (or I've written) about giving God your time, your talent and your treasure today.’ But then they proceed to speak about the treasure (or tithing) part for the next 45 minutes.

Why?

Why have I wrestled with this so much? Why does it still eat at me after so many years? Why can’t I just tithe and give up this pursuit of knowing why?

Is it possible that we’ve just plain ol’ gotten it wrong? Or is the enemy using this as a stumbling block for me?


My history of tithing is one of almost complete faithfulness to the practice. I was raised that this is just what you do. Tithing was such an adamant practice for my parents, that I would now call it legalism. The incongruities I saw in their walk while still preaching the importance of tithing was unsettling to me as I matured in my faith. I don't know what was in their hearts, I just speak of the perception of what I saw.

I entered our marriage determined to continue my well-established practice of tithing. But about six or seven years into it, I became rebellious to the party line I’d been taught and wanted to pursue God the way He had called me, not with the legalism I’d experienced in my church, my family and my own heart. During this time, we were rarely making good financial decisions, had our fair share of debt and like most Americans lived paycheck to paycheck.

Then one Sunday, our pastor said something in his sermon that I knew was meant just for me, “You don’t tithe not because you can’t. You don’t tithe because you don’t trust God to provide for your needs.” I went home that day, talked with Dale and decided come ‘hell or high water’, I would tithe to prove God’s promise in Malachi 3:10 true.

This was about eight or nine years ago and I can still see my pastor saying this. And guess what? We didn’t miss the tithe money. Honestly, it was probably just some fewer eating out trips or less money for a vacation…the point is, it didn’t hurt us to give it. It was definitely do-able.

We still had debt, we still weren’t making consistently good financial decisions and like most Americans, lived paycheck to paycheck. Tithing had not magically taken care of what was, looking back, a heart issue.

Ever since that time though, I’ve still struggled with why our treasure is usually discussed more and the time and the talent issues just get a perfunctory nod. Could it be that in American, white, mostly affluent churches, it’s easier for us to write a check than to give away our time and talent? As people cram more and more things in their crowded schedules, is it possible that we who have plenty of money actually covet our time more?? Hmm??

For now, I’ll leave you to ponder this: When you look at the time, talent and treasure (money) you’ve been given by God, which is the most difficult to sacrifice to the point that it hurts? At the thought of losing which one do you see yourself cowering in a corner, scratching and fighting for the last scrap of it that you have? Which one would leave you awake at night...loss of money, loss of your talent or loss of all your time? Then ask yourself, were any of these really yours to begin with?

3 comments:

  1. NO ONE, absolutely NO ONE pays the Biblical tithe today.

    Leviticus 27:30-33, Numbers 18: The First Tithe - a tenth of crops and animals and commanded to take the tithe to the Levites.

    Deuteronomy 14:22-27: The Second Tithe aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take for the yearly feast.

    Deuteronomy 14:28-29: The Third Tithe aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.

    Now, tell me. Which of the above three tithes commanded by God does anyone follow today?

    The ONLY people in the Old Testament that were commanded to tithe were those who INHERITED THE PROMISED LAND WITH EVERYTHING ON IT. They got the land, house, animals, crops, etc. ALL FREE AND CLEAR. No mortgage payment or rent to pay. And THEY were commanded to tithe on the crops and animals and take it to the Levites who INHERITED the tithe INSTEAD OF the promised land with everything on it. No one else tithed. Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus didn’t tithe. Paul didn’t tithe. Peter didn’t tithe.

    Malachi is spoken to the priests only. The blessings and curses mentioned in Malachi have nothing to do with Christians.

    1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV) “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.”

    The New Testament makes it clear that we are to use the FIRST of our income to take care of ourselves and our family. We are talking about needs, here, not just anything we want. Then we should give generously from what is left.

    Gary Arnold
    Certified Money & Finance Minister

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading stories like yours truly saddens my heart. Children of God shouldn’t be made to feel guilty about anything that concerns the Kingdom, tithing included.

    The New Testament church has not been given the tithe mandate. Well meaning Christians like yourself are being made to feel guilty over a non-existent “biblical” command!

    Israel was a nation and like almost every nation on earth, its citizens were required to pay taxes. The tithes on the agricultural produce were the taxes they were required to pay. And the Levites, who are like today’s public office holders, were the ones who were legally allowed to receive tithes from the remaining 11 tribes of Israel. The Levites were the only ones allowed to minister in temple. The modern equivalent of tithes are the taxes we pay to our respective governments.

    The common argument I hear though is that because tithing precedes the law in Abraham’s encounter with Melchizedek, it is binding on today’s church. Sadly, there is nothing further from the truth. No portion of scripture ever tells us to emulate Abraham and do all that he did. And funny enough, scriptures tells us in the book of Hebrews that Abraham and all the Old Testament saints could not even be made perfect without us of the New dispensation because we receive God’s promises through Christ Jesus.

    What is worthy of note in Abraham’s encounter with God was the seed God promised him. Through this seed, all nations of the earth would be blessed and Jesus is that seed. Abraham’s encounter with Melchizedek was to lean weight to the legality of the priesthood of Jesus and show that God had priests outside the Levitical order with Melchizedek and Jesus being examples of such. And this was the context of the book of Hebrews.

    When it comes to giving, the bible never stipulates a 10% minimum! That is a complete fabrication! Instead the bible tells us that anything we give is acceptable as far as it is given willingly and cheerfully. So it is not the 10% benchmark that is acceptable unto God but rather the heart with which you give. 2 Cor 9: 7.

    In my own opinion, any church that has a problem with the little you give should rethink its existence.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words, but I'm so concerned that I not portray anyone in a bad light just because of where they are in their journey that I thought I should clarify some more. And I by no means have "arrived", this is an area that I've struggled with for years...but there is great joy in this struggle!

    No one person has ever made me feel guilty for not paying tithe, it is more a pervasive feeling that I have picked up from my experiences both inside the church and in commonly read or promoted Christian teachings on finance.

    But I think you're right on the money (no pun intended!) that "God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7b). And that is the work He is doing in me! Stay tuned and come back for each episode in this series. God is good!

    ReplyDelete