Friday, May 13, 2011

Tithing, part 4

(If you’ve just started reading my blog, please back up a few days to Tithing, an Introduction to fully understand today’s blog)

The second writer was Jim Sheppard, CEO of Generis, a consulting firm devoted to “expanding the generosity of churches and ministries.” His answer to the question, “Should the jobless tithe on unemployment benefits?” was “Yes, with generosity.”

Truthfully, I considered skipping his portion of the article. But I decided to begin and just prepare to be honked off. I was pleasantly surprised!

When Sheppard writes, “During these tough times, it is easy for church going, typically responsible Christians to fall off the radar as they deal with the shame of being unable to provide for themselves or their families.” I could again, empathize with this…I’ve been there!

I vividly remember within two days of Dale telling me he’d lost his job, knowing (only by the loving preparation of the Holy Spirit!) that this was our next big test. I knew this would not be an easy or quick fix and this experience would take us places we did not want to go. Looking back, I am so thankful for the Holy Spirit’s forewarning, yet there’s no way I could have envisioned all that He intended for us.

The second thing I remember determining within a few short days, was that we were not going to stay isolated. We were not going to wallow. We intentionally continued to invite people to our home and engage in relationship. Still, relationships, did change and at times, were even estranged.

God’s helped me process through this and the best explanation I can come up with is that our culture doesn’t prepare us for how to deal with the questions that arise when the ground gives way beneath a friend. When everything goes wrong, we look for a reason. We want to blame, justify, rationalize, etc…but sometimes, there’s just no obvious reason. And if we can't find a reason, it scares us that it could happen to us as well.

Our experience has taught me that I need to remember never to be the one to heap additional shame upon someone already at a loss for an explanation. God calls us to surround each other with love, acceptance and forgiveness. And sometimes, the relationships change for the better. One of my dearest friends now is someone who did love, accept and I’m certain continually forgives me for my shortcomings!

Sorry for the detour, back to Sheppard’s comments.

Even though I was prepared for a typical, legalistic response, I found that I agreed with his Biblical foundation for tithing. Ultimately, he says , “generosity is a condition of the heart.” Amen!

Some other helpful insights from him are that “a lifestyle of generosity should not stop when times are hard.” And tithing when “income is low reinforces gratitude and trust, as it reminds us that God can use even the smallest gift to accomplish His will.”

I’ve experienced this as we’ve given out of our blessings to others. What may seem meager in by our culture's standards is huge to someone else when it’s in God’s perfect timing. A $10-25 gift card doesn’t change the world, but when Holy Spirit prompts the giving, it may just be the tool He uses to remind the recipient that He is still there, looking out for her and that she can continue to place her hope and trust in Him.

What I appreciated most about both of these men that do believe you should continue giving even when income is low, is that neither one specifies a percentage to give. For years, I’ve believed that the 10% rule is probably my biggest hang up with tithing. I’ve even had conversations with Dale where I’ve gotten angry (not at him!) at this legalistic mentality. Isn’t clinging to the Old Testament standard of 10% denying what Jesus taught us? Everything we have is a gift from God so it should all be His. We should ask Him in every purchase if it is His will for us…including our tithe.

So often what I sense when the 10% rule is proclaimed is that we in America who are so wealthy by worldly standards then can rationally justify massive homes, big vacations, hundreds (if not thousands) on sports and lessons for our kids, closets busting at the seams with rarely worn clothes, and on and on. None of these things are bad and many are very good…but did we even ask God if they were okay to begin with? Or did we rationalize the purchase, subscription, work on the house, etc. because we knew we’d paid our 10% tithe so the other 90% is ours to do with as we please? I’ve just started reading David Platt’s new book, Radical Together, and he says when you begin to live radically for God, everything is on the table. In other words, every activity, expense, program (for us or a church), etc. should be prayed over and asked of God if it is His BEST for us. It may be good…but is it His BEST. And then actually wait to hear His answer.

Yes, I’m stepping on my own toes here! I am guilty of every one of the above and I still struggle with this. Just in the last week as we, in my estimation, didn’t have enough to get through to the next payday, I was stressing over money…yet, trying to go to Holy Spirit for wisdom and peace over and over. I was desperate to submit to Him about this worry over His provision. After all I’d paid our tithe, so didn’t he promise He’d provide?

Praise God! He spoke to my heart and said, “But I have provided for you. You have food in your pantry and fridge. You have a little gas in your car (no small feat these days), your husband is working and you live where you can walk to the grocery if you need anything. What you’re really stressed about is money to take your kids shopping or to a movie (even a cheap one!) or running around just to get out of the house for awhile. But these aren’t needs.” Amen!

Even though I felt at peace with His answer, He’s so amazing, that the next day He did give us a little extra money too…some through gifts and some through a silly class action settlement from our last auto insurance provider. He even surprised me with a Starbucks gift card from someone thanking me for my leadership in our co-op this year.

And while none of these amounts were huge by our culture’s standards, they were enough to keep us stocked in fresh fruits and veggies (very important to me!) until the next payday. I also had enough to buy us some pepper and tomato plants to grow on our patio. Plus, there was a little left over to take each of our kids on a walk to run errands, spend some alone time with them and buy them a treat. Believe me, that small Hawaiian Ice I bought my sugar-addicted son and the conversation we had while he ate it was huge! And as always 10% of these blessings are going back out to someone else…in this case, to buy food for the single moms’ night out we’re hosting this week.

So Shepphard is right…”generosity is a condition of the heart.” God is transforming mine to care about what He cares about and He says repeatedly that He cares about the poor, the widow and the orphan. How can I not give generously to those close to His heart when He continues to shower us with amazing blessings?!

In the next segment, I’ll discuss the third perspective in the Christianity Today roundtable article which asks the question, “Should the jobless tithe on their unemployment benefits?” The last answer might surprise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment