Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Wolverine


I came across this movie review by Christianity Today and unfortunately read it prior to seeing the movie. Don't read it if you don't want spoilers. Some of the value of the movie the author describes was lost on me because he'd already told me what was going to happen.

I hate that!

Movies are escapism for most of us and we get lost in the world we're watching. We sort of even live vicariously through the characters. If you haven't already noticed over the last few years...I love movies! Whether it's a documentary, an animated feature, drama, comedy or one of my favorite superhero genre. Because of all this, Wolverine was one of the most highly anticipated movies on my Summer Movie Wishlist.

My only response is "Ehh."

I mean, it was okay. The story was okay. The effects were pretty good. (But there is one phenomenal train fight scene!) And maybe because I've been disappointed in other movies this summer like Man of Steel, I set myself up prematurely to be disappointed with this one as well. I don't know.

I still give it a strong B rating...most likely because of the character, the actor and the genre...but this probably isn't one I'd buy when it's released on DVD. As I'm sitting here typing, it just occurred to me that one of the most disappointing aspects of the movie may have been the script.

I've come to expect witty, one-line zingers from Logan that define his character as the sassy, not-playing-by-the-rulebooks kind of guy that he is. In this movie...not so much. Sure, there's a few, but nothing like we've come to expect. My son keeps teasing me that I only like Marvel Comic movies. Well, this Marvel movie didn't quite live up to its potential for me. 

I'll look forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment