Saturday, August 24, 2013

Have You Seen This Yet? KLOUT

Klout: The Standard for Influence

Okay...this social networking thing is completely getting out of hand. I recently signed up to blog about books for free copies of the books. I know...I know...something right up my proverbial alley. The company though, reserves select copies of their books for members that have a "KLOUT" score of 30 or more. Even more select copies are available to someone with a score of 60+.

What is KLOUT, you say? It's a social networking site that analyzes your social networking use. When I link my Facebook, Twitter, Google+ (also LinkedIn, Instagram and Foursquare, none of which I have) KLOUT analyzes your data to give you a score. Now, I recently had a birthday, so I received a lot of posts from people and I think my scores a little inflated because of that, but I had a score of 53.

Here's the problem I see that could be developing quickly: Depression onset by a low score. 

Just as the number of Facebook friends, likes or Twitter followers can make or break your perception of yourself, I foresee that this could become the bane of the low-self-esteemer's existence. Beth Moore puts Facebook into perspective in her study of the book of James and I think she is spot on that ignoring friend requests, withholding likes, etc. can be used as a form of power, manipulation and control. For someone that's a pleaser at heart (like myself) this can have huge consequences on your emotions.

Is it really that big of a leap toward people doing whatever it takes to up their KLOUT score? Maybe...maybe not. I have a Facebook friend that just posted an article yesterday about how SnapChat was originally developed as a venue for sexting. Ugh! Lots of encouragement abounds, mostly from stay-at-home Christian moms, to have us slow down, set down the electronics and stop and "smell the roses".

No matter your feelings on social media, iPhones, iPads, Kindles, computers...and on and on and on...my point is, maybe this is all getting a little out of hand. I speak for myself and my family when I say that I think it has. Last night we were excited to get a free Redbox rental (coupon for my birthday) and we opted to watch Warm Bodies again. Less than half-way into the movie, I had one daughter and one son each on an iPod messaging friends or whatever. Now, I can't judge them too harshly, because there are many times my youngest wants me to sit with her to watch something and I whip out the Kindle to check status updates, tweets or just to play a game.

I guess my point is this, God knew we were going to progress to this point in history and He knew most of us wouldn't be able to be hermits and keep ourselves completely untainted by the outside world...but when my media is dictating my feelings, emotions, priorities and energy expenses...it's probably time for me to step back and reevaluate how much and when it should be allowed to speak into my life. Letting God keep the scorecard of my influence is probably the best option...oh wait, He doesn't keep score.

Precisely!

1 comment:

  1. AnotherChildOfTheKingJanuary 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM

    Hello, I just happened upon your blog and was reading some of your postings. I have never heard of KLOUT, but reading what you said about it (and other social media) determining how you feel and the attitude you have at a certain period really made me think. I can definitely see your point and have seen this happen, but as you said I am glad I let God start determining my outlook on things and keep me encouraged. I thank you for giving Him the praise for what He does and pointing back to Him. Have a blessed day (all of your family) and keep being a light :).

    ReplyDelete