Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad




I don't know about you, but I love salsa...and I have a bevy of recipes to prove it. But, if I am attempting to live a healthier lifestyle, I must admit that I don't need all of those accompanying chips. Imagine my delight at finding this recipe today on the back of the plant marker from my yellow pear tomatoes.



You see, it's a salad. I know that term is foreign to many in the U.S., so just think salsa...without the kick and you'll find it to be just as tasty as I did. And just like salsa, I think you can modify the recipe to include whatever you have on hand and tailored to your taste preference. 

First thing you do, is prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside.
Cut your fresh corn off the cob. Yes, this is the messiest part. Don't be surprised if kernels go flying. You need about 5 cups which may be 7-8 medium ears. I had 6 and that was plenty.


Bring a large pot of salted water (original recipe suggests heavily salted, I did not) to a boil over high heat. Add corn kernels and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and place in the ice water bath until cool, about 4 minutes.


Next in a large, non-reactive bowl (I used glass), combine 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (can use fresh), 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper. While continuously whisking, add 3 Tablespoons olive oil in a steady stream until completely blended. 

Add about 10 ounces of tomatoes. Original recipe calls for yellow pear tomatoes to be halved. I had a variety of tomatoes (Arkansas Traveler, red cherry and yellow pear) so I cut into bite-sized chopped pieces. Also add 1/2 cup red onion, diced small and 1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced. Throw the cooled corn into the mix and toss in the bowl until well coated.

That's it! And just like salsa, it is very forgiving. I did not measure anything and it turned out great. The initial tasting was good but I've stuck it into the refrigerator and covered it the flavors can meld a little more.

There is a plethora of corn and tomatoes around here right now, so with just a few ears of corn from a farm down the road, some tomatoes and basil from my back patio and an onion and condiments I had on hand, a new tasty side dish was created.

Try mixing in a different herb or adding in a sweet bell pepper (green, red or yellow) and see what you can create too. You may have caught on that the only difference here from salsa is cilantro vs. basil, lemon vs. lime juice, olive oil added and no hot pepper...so if you absolutely need your salsa fix, this is a good base recipe to start.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment