Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Dare You to Do This and...

not be humbled.

The folks over at A Heart for Korah posted a very eye-opening link on their Facebook page. It's called Global Rich List. It will ask you your location and then all you do is type in your annual income and it instantly evaluates your percentage of wealthiest people position. It also gives you the data in real number of people.

For instance, I put in our last year gross income and believe it or not, even with living 1.5 times below the poverty level for a family of 6 in the U.S., we were still in the top 1.10% of wealthiest people in the world.

Yikes!

That makes me about the 73.6 millionth richest person out of a world population of around 7 billion. Can you say the word shame? Not shame at what we have been blessed with...but my stupid whining at how little I have!

So I crunched a few numbers...just because I'm a little weird like that. Dale's had a lot of extra work this year, so our income has gone up considerably...still below poverty level, mind you. Yet, by my estimation we will have finished the year in the 0.51% or the 33.9 millionth richest person.

Oh yeah...you know I went further. I put in our income the last year that Dale worked in banking. Twice what we earned last year, but still only about $14,000 above poverty level for a family of 6. Here's the stats: 0.15% or about the 10 millionth richest person in the world. Can it be possible that that woman of five years ago actually thought she barely had enough to get by? Yes...double shame.

And then this is the last one...I promise...I put in $100,000. I don't know about you, but that sounds like a lot of money to me. But I know people that live in that pay range and even above. In fact, it's not that uncommon in the area where we live in Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area. Here are the final figures. If you make $100,000 you are in the top 0.08% of the wealthiest people in the world! That also makes you about the 5 millionth richest person.

So here's the question that now has to be asked: If we are living as Red Letter Christians, and really, truly say we believe the teachings of Jesus...when He says, "From everyone who has been given much, much is required." (see Luke 12:48 in its context here) exactly to whom do we think He was talking? And what are we...myself at the forefront...going to do about it?

By the way...I lied when I said $100,000 was the last one. I want you to go over to Global Rich List right now and plug in your numbers. Then ask God what He wants you to do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment