Saturday, August 3, 2013

Homemade Natural Toothpaste


For the better part of two plus years, I have been making and using my own toothpaste. Recipes abound on the internet and I don't recall where I found this one. The first dentist appointment I had after I'd been using this for several months, I admittedly was worried about the condition of my teeth, but phrases like, "Your teeth look great," "You have very little tartar," and "Keep doing what you're doing," have been repeated every six months without fail.

I confess I am not a consistent flosser and my gums do get irritated as the hygienist cleans, but when my gums are "measured" and the dentist peaks in, I am always told, "Well, you could pick up on your flossing a little to keep the irritation down, but other than that...it all looks great."

I'll take it!

And my homemade version is cheaper than anything you can buy in the store. It's a win-win.





There are only three ingredients: coconut oil (I use organic, extra-virgin), baking soda, and peppermint essential oil. In a glass container with a lid, place 2 Tablespoons oil, 3 Tablespoons soda and 20-25 drops of essential oils (your flavor preference of course) and stir. That's it. The whole thing takes five minutes tops.

My only words of caution are these: the oil will be soft, almost liquid in warm weather and your sink will have oil in it and will need cleaned frequently. But the oil cleans easily with a scrubbing cloth or sponge. And don't talk to me about fluoride. Don't swallow what you've been told by dentists and an industry that attempts to unload hazardous waste on unsuspecting people. Do your own research and decide for yourself if toxic waste is something you want placed in your body.


Health benefits of coconut oil include anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. Baking soda scrubs and gives your teeth that "fresh from the dentist feeling."

No comments:

Post a Comment