Friday, May 10, 2013

Paninii Gourmet Cafe', Florence, Ky



Today as I had a delicious lunch with Abbey and Leah, I had the brilliant idea (or so I thought), to write a review about it. In an effort to "Write a Better Story", for a few years now I have been making a more concerted effort to spend our dollars to support more local...or at least smaller...businesses. When I come across a great place or a good deal, I need to pass that along to you. So here goes my first ever blogging restaurant review.

Paninii Gourmet Cafe at 7561 Mall Road in Florence, Kentucky, might be a chain I've never heard of...but I am certain that the man behind the counter asking us multiple times if all was well and encouraging us at least twice to come back, had to be a local owner. I assured him that we would. Here's why:
  • All fruit smoothies, with no dairy, although possibly not free of added sugar...would be one of the few healthy, quick options I can get when running errands.  They are $4 each, but there are veggie options and additional supplements available too.
  • 9-inch rustic flatbreads for $4-$7
  • Salads and wraps for around $7 each
  • And paninis...available on ciabatta or rosemary/herb bread

Leah had the Mango Tango smoothie and thought it was good. It filled her up quickly. Abbey and I each had a coupon (received in this week's home mailing) for 50% off a panini when you purchase a side and drink.  Without the coupon, this would have put both of our meals around $11 apiece. But here's how our family of six could make this affordable...sharing.

Abbey and I each only ate half of our paninis, and with my small side salad, I was stuffed. We took home our leftovers and shared them with the two homebodies, Noah and Rebekah. Essentially, we fed five people for less than $20. Granted, that was with coupons, but absent the sides and drinks, it would be about the same amount. Sharing wouldn't leave us stuffed...but stuffing shouldn't be our goal anyway, right? [Yes, that is an an entirely different cultural blog post ]

Just in case you were wondering...it was delicious too. I had the Black Angus with thinly sliced Angus steak, horseradish spread, cheddar and sauteed onions and mushrooms on a perfectly grilled ciabatta bread. For someone that eats red meat about once a month and doesn't like a lot of thick meat, I would highly recommended it. And Abbey thought the Pesto Chicken with chicken breast, mozzarella, creamy pesto and tomatoes was yummy.

A brief internet search still doesn't tell me if this is a chain or not, but I only found the one location. So next time you want a somewhat healthier option, in a casual atmosphere and don't want to break the bank...try Paninii Gourmet Cafe. They're located in front of HH Gregg on Mall Road in Florence.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Angela,
    Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate you coming in and trying my new restaurant and hopefully it will be the start of many more visits.
    Just for clarification; Paninii is an independently and family owned local business. In regards to the question about our smoothies, they are 100% natural with no added sugar. Even our newest lemonade smoothie is made with lemons, white grapes and pears (again with no added sugar).
    Looking forward to actually meeting you on your next visit.
    George Swaiss
    Owner

    ReplyDelete