Friday, May 31, 2013

I Love a Little Mistake

Sometimes, I'm either in a hurry, or I'm not very focused or my heart is just too distracted...and then I sit down to spend some time with Jesus and I "accidentally" look up the wrong verse. Today, that's exactly what I did when turning to one of the Scripture references in Jesus Calling. Over the last few years though, I have found some of those "mistakes" to be some of the most meaningful Scripture readings I've ever had.

I was supposed to turn to 2 Thessalonians 3:16 and read about peace, but instead,  I went one book too far and found what I needed for the moment in 1 Timothy 3:16:

"By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness,
He who was revealed in the flesh,
Was justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Proclaimed among the nations,
Believed on in the world,
Taken up in glory."

I don't precisely know why, but this was very reassuring to me when I read it. Here's a few possibilities though:

  • This "confession" I make daily...that He is LORD...is common. I am never alone in believing it.
  • How does He make us "godly", or more like Him? It's a mystery, so I need to quit trying to figure it out.
  • His flesh, His Spirit and even the angels testify who He is so...
  • He should be proclaimed everywhere and believed
The final line almost left me a little sad. But here's one more thing that the reassurance of this Scripture gives me...just as all of this proves to my faith that He is Who He said He would be...I can hang my faith on the promise that He's coming back too!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment