Friday, May 17, 2013

Washington Square Cafe' and Catering, Burlington, KY

5981 North Jefferson Street
Burlington, KY


Yesterday for breakfast, I met the two ladies I co-lead a small group with at Bible study. They suggested this local establishment and given my penchant for supporting local business, I was thrilled. 

If you've been following me on Twitter, Facebook or this blog though...you know I'm knee-deep into a juice fast and body reboot. So while I can share that their orange juice was typical in taste for most restaurants (probably from concentrate), and I thought it was priced appropriately for the size...I'll have to rely on my observations from my dining partners' experiences to attempt a brief review.

Since we've lived in the Boone County, Kentucky, area we have seen numerous places come and go on this block of Jefferson Street. I'm not certain if it's location, price, quality or what...but I believe that Washington Square has been here for a few years now.

Upon arrival, parking might be your biggest hurdle. Breakfast wasn't busy, so I parked right out front. There is a parking lot across the street for all the local businesses though, if needed. Washington Square has a large outdoor patio seating area that they use whenever they can. The building is small (it only seats up to 50), so they've extended their space and usage of the patio with outdoor heaters.

Once I walked into the small building, I was greeted by a very friendly waitress and seated in a quaint, cute room. I had to chuckle to myself at the three or four older men that were having their morning coffee by the bar, watching the news and chatting away about current events...local and global. Not to be too melodramatic...but this is one of the things I love about the U.S. Everywhere I've been in this country, there is some "hole in the wall" place, with great food, where locals gather every morning just to hang out before their day starts. Starbucks did not invent the idea.

Back to the food. One of my companions had a biscuit with gravy and hash browns and said it was delicious. My other fellow diner ordered a breakfast quesadilla and could it was large enough that she could only eat about half. She also said her meal tasted great.

Prices for breakfast were a little higher than I would normally pay, but at around $7-8 were probably right in line with good breakfast meals served at sit down restaurants. Both ladies said they've eaten at Washington Square for lunch as well and the food is consistently good.

I wish I could give more firsthand commentary as to the quality of the food and overall experience, but I'll just have to go back and visit when my juice fast is over. Since I'm planning on continuing my healthy way of eating, I'm hoping to find some healthy options on their menu. 

I couldn't find a website for Washington Square Cafe, but they do have a Facebook page and it looks like they update it frequently to advertise their specials, live bands and events. So next time you're heading out for breakfast, lunch or dinner...think local-owned instead of chain restaurant and give Washington Square Cafe' a try.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your
    stuff previous to and you are just extremely great.
    I actually like what you've acquired here, really like
    what you are stating and the way in which you say it.
    You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise.
    I can not wait to read much more from you.
    This is really a tremendous site.

    Feel free to visit my blog post: catering company carmel ca
    (http://www.amallibya.com/villa-guesthouse-management-in-libya)

    ReplyDelete