Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"Got My Mind Set On You"



Last night, I shared with a friend that I've felt like I've been avoiding God. I started asking Him today, "Why?" I think there are a few reasons, but one has been this lesson of being at peace with complete dependence upon Him. What He's asking of me is so counter-cultural, so mind-boggling that I can't even begin to get my brain around it.

For an uber-analytical mind like mine...this has been driving me nuts. So, I've been avoiding Him because I didn't want to do the "work" to process with Him exactly what He is calling me to do. I know I sound vague, but I cannot put into words the thoughts I've had. They are so much higher than my finite thoughts that this is going to take a lot of time and patience and yes, even money, with and from God to sort it all out.

And if you've ever needed to believe that God must have a sense of humor...let me assure you...He does.

You see, this song...an old 80's throwback to my teen years...for the last year or so has occasionally "popped" into my head...often out of nowhere...when I've struggled to comprehend or just to process what God is saying or sharing with me. I cannot even begin to count how many times this has happened. I would only let myself repeat the line "I got my mind set on You" over and over again, because I didn't like the next line that says, "It's going to take money, a whole lot of spending money." I was content to recite the first phrase over and over again. It sort of became a way of "recalibrating" my brain back to focusing on God.

This morning as I turned again to Him and truly began to ask, "Why am I avoiding You?" "What are You asking of me?" "How do I begin to have peace in our circumstances, when I know the bottom line and You say, 'Don't worry...I've got your back!'" Ugh! It was excessively overwhelming and I was becoming exasperated with no answer.

But then...I felt led to open up Jesus Calling...and I was a few days behind (yep...that avoidance thing again!). In God's perfect timing, I read today what was scheduled for yesterday:

"For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace..." (Romans 8:6)

And once again, George Harrison and his 1980's hit began playing non-stop in my mind. You see, when I've "God my mind set on (Him)" there is life and peace! When I set it on the flesh or my earthly surroundings or my cultures demands...there is only death.

Just for kicks, I wanted to post the video from Youtube. It's cheesy...but all of the words are appropriate for today. It is going to take lots of money (from God), lots of time and lots of patience (from me) to "do it right". But if I've "Got my mind set" in the right place there will be "life and peace".

Amen!


1 comment:

  1. Okay...don't know why some of this is highlighted. I'm still not as techno-savvy as I should be.!

    ReplyDelete