Thursday, June 28, 2012

Brave


In our household, Pixar is a happy word! Over the years, they have produced most of our favorite family movies. Now, we're hoping they're just in a slump.

Okay, so Cars 2 wasn't the greatest but we were really looking forward to Brave and most of us were sorely disappointed. It's not terrible, it's just not great...like we've come to expect from Pixar. Usually, they're movies are timed to debut near our youngest daughter, Leah's birthday. For several years, going to see the newest Pixar flick has been just part of her birthday routine. Such was the case again this year.

Since she's our "princess-y" girl, I was thrilled to see Pixar delving into the princess arena for the first time. The main character, Merida, shares hair and eye color with our oldest (red and bright blue, respectively...not a typical combination) so even Abbey was excited to see how this princess movie played out!

And there were some highlights (hopefully, not spoilers!):


  • It's a mother/daughter film, which I think, just may be a Disney first. The girls and I were trying to think of any Disney animated film that even has a mom (not stepmom or captivity inducing witch)  in it. Mulan was the only other one we could come up with. It seems most Disney girls have daddy issues that need resolved. Elinor, voiced by Emma Thompson (one of my all-time favorite actresses) is a mom that has high expectations for the good of her daughter, yet is blind to her daughter's strength, skill and passion.
  • Merida's three troublesome brothers are cute and funny. Think Huey, Dewey and Louie...only Scottish, mute and each with a bright red shock of hair.
  • No mushy love story where a 16 year old thinks they're old enough and ready to leave home to be with her handsome "prince"
  • The overall theme is good...listen to each other, without giving up your hopes and dreams. Of course, this is only achieved after some serious soul-searching and many comical blunders and tender moments along the way...par for the course for most Disney movies.
But there just wasn't that "oomph" for lack of a better word. And yes, this is a spoiler...but I wish someone would have told me there would be several male (albeit, animated) bums that would make an appearance as well. 

Alas, I'll continue to support Pixar in the theatre...I just hope next time it's back to the caliber of the Toy Story series, Cars, or Monsters, Inc. (Yes, there was even a preview for the new Monsters University too.) In an effort at full disclosure, I have to admit that The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Wall-E weren't necessarily my favorites at the first time either and each of them grew on me with subsequent viewings. In fact, The Incredibles is my all-time favorite Pixar movie now. So who knows...maybe when the DVD arrives and I watch it again, I'll like it more. For now, I'm content to go retro and enjoy some nostalgic Pixar...maybe A Bug's Life tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment