Sunday, May 19, 2013

Publicizing What God is Doing



Today at First Church of Christ, we had our annual Missions Fair. This was the first one I've attended and from now on...I do not want to miss any. My kids just shook their heads and smiled when I leaned over during the pre-service video of a multi-lingual rendition of "How Great is Our God" and said, "I'm already teary!" That was just the start!

Then, instead of a sermon, six people who serve all over the world were interviewed about the different lessons we learn for John 3:16, "For God loved the world so much that He gave His only Son that whoever believes in Him would not die but would have eternal life."

  • God's Love is incarnational
  • God's Love is sacrificial
  • God's Love is missional
  • God's Love is personal
The six speakers represented the mission fields of Northern Kentucky; Papua New Guinea; Burkina Faso, Africa; a worldwide church planter; Niger, Africa and mid-India. To say I was blessed to listen to what they had to share was an understatement. But the best part of the day was going to the actual "fair" after the worship service. There, in our gymnasium, were dozens of organizations and representatives from around the world. I picked up lots of literature and as I read through it, I plan to share with you any websites, Facebook pages, etc. that can promote the wonderful work that is being done all over the globe in the name of God's Love.

Two quick stories about people I spoke with: 
  1.  It was fun to introduce myself to two people from Mountain Mission School in Grundy, Virginia, where our oldest, Abbey, is currently staying with the Mayer family that live and work there. 
  2. And, literally getting goosebumps when one of the men told me that his organization may soon be planting churches in North Korea! I am teary at just the thought. You could tell he was busting at the seams to share this with me. I have watched several documentaries and follow the news of North Korea often (link to my previous blogpost here) and have been amazed at the black hole (for lack of a better phrase) that is North Korea. I'm not naming the organization just now out of respect for what seemed to be a discreet conversation.
Our God is alive, active and moving and I hope over the next few weeks to share with you what I learn about the people who are at the forefront of increasing His Kingdom one toehold at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment