Saturday, May 18, 2013

Yesterday Was Tough!


By 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, I had already had four juice meals. I attempt to limit myself to four not because I have to, but because that's a recommendation from the Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead documentary. I have discovered for myself also that my metabolism is so wrecked from years of yoyo dieting that my weight loss slows drastically or can even stop if I drink much more than that.

I knew there was no way I would make it to bedtime without eating something. Sure, I could have just juiced some more, but again, that almost overwhelming desire to chew was not dissipating. So I tried to make the healthiest choices that would satisfy the cravings I had.

About 1 1/2 cups of watermelon (which is mostly juice anyway), another small piece of homemade whole spelt sourdough toast fixed the same way as the night before and I finally buckled under the pressure of popcorn. But I ate it slowly so as not to consume too much. It was probably between 1/4-1/3 cup. Plus, it was homemade, by our 12 year old, with olive oil and sea salt.

I went to bed feeling satisfied and slept through the night and was well rested this morning.  I was pleasantly surprised to get on the scales and see that I'd lost three more pounds. That's a total of 10 in four days.

I don't recommend straying from the juicing during a juice fast, but if you absolutely have to, ask yourself "what is my body craving" and attempt to find the healthiest way to satisfy it. I am certain that last night I needed something sweet (watermelon), protein (whole spelt toast with raw cashew butter) and something to crunch (stove top popcorn made in olive oil).

I am aware that so much detail isn't necessary, but this is truly helping me stay on track. If all of this is too monotonous for you, then feel free to skip these posts about my juice fast. I guess I feel that if even one person is inspired to make better food choices and I get healthier in the process, it will have been worth the risk of vulnerability to the blogging world!

Keep juicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment