Sunday, May 12, 2013

Treasure the Past



Today, which is Mother's Day in the U.S., our pastor used Luke 2:19 as the basis for his sermon:
"But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart."

What better example of motherhood can we study than the one who was honored with raising the Savior of the world? Pastor Marksberry had a lot of good points, but the one that spoke to me the most was something the Holy Spirit has been whispering too.

Treasure the past.

Over and over again, I read the posts of this blog to remind myself of what God has done in the recent past...His faithfulness, His love, His provision and even His discipline. As much as I like to share what is happening in my life with others, first and foremost this blog is for me. I started it when I was "bubbling over" at the "memory of His abundant goodness." (Psalm 145:7) I just couldn't hold it all in anymore. Writing that much by hand in a journal was causing hand cramps (no joke!) and most of the people I knew at the time didn't want to sit with me long enough to listen to what was happening inside of me. I was thankful for the few that would listen, but there was just too much to share. Instead, I chose to start this online journal and just let the words be sent "out there" into the world of the internet. If anyone read them, much less was blessed by what I was writing...that was just a huge bonus.

While I was listening to today's sermon, I felt like it was my turn to encourage you...the potential reader of this...to start your own version of documenting all that God does in your life. I know some that share through Facebook or Twitter. Others keep their own personal journals. You could even write in the margins of your Bible or devotional book a date and a note pertaining to specific Scriptures and how God used them to speak into your life through comfort, encouragement, grace or wisdom. Truly, in our media-rich world...the possibilities are endless. Mary had to be content with storing them up in her heart. She may have not even been able to write for all we know.

Now, it's your turn...it is time to do your part and it's okay if you don't make them public. But whether we want to admit our limited mortality or not, there will be a day when we will shuffle off this imperfect shell. What a blessing to leave behind for those that follow after you all of the lessons, passion, and gifts God gave you. Can you think of a better "legacy" to leave?

No comments:

Post a Comment