Thursday, May 16, 2013

All Juice is Not Alike

Juice is juice, right?

Well, maybe not. I'm certain a multitude of expert opinions abound on the internet, but here's the gist of what I know.

Today, I went to Kroger to get a bottle or two of juice. I was meeting two ladies for breakfast and didn't want to assume the restaurant would have what I needed. Also since it was my morning for Bible study, I wanted to be prepared to ward off hunger pains.

The first bottle I picked up was my go to Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness. Our family has been drinking this for years. It's my "go to" because when I'm juicing and need to go out for errands, meet in a place where there will be food or just can't juice before I leave home, this is what I grab. It's chock full of good things like green tea, spirulina, barley grass, wheat grass, chlorella, echinacea, blue green algae, nova scotia dulse and it tastes great too. Believe it or not...it does. It also is loaded with pineapple juice concentrate, apple juice concentrate, mango puree, banana puree and kiwi puree.

But here's what I know about juice concentrate...it has been cooked, processed and basically depleted of all the good enzymes and micronutrients that our bodies need for health, healing and protection against the havoc wreaked by our environment and refined foods. Sure my Green Goodness will stave off hunger, but it's not nourishing me the way my body needs.

Enter the Sambazon Energy juice. It's organic! It's made from juice, not concentrate and they've added good things like Fair Trade acai juice, yerba mateguarana. I felt pretty good about finding this new option, but then I got to my car and actually put on my reading glasses. [I don't like getting old!] Hidden in the midst of the ingredients was this: organic cane sugar. Sure it's organic...but it's still refined sugar...something I'm attempting to detox from while I juice.

On the drive home from Bible study, I even started to feel a little loopy and tired. Not a good result for the energy drink, ya think? So the first thing I did after putting my things away was fix my own...fresh from the fruit and veggie juice. If I had each of these options poured into a glass, I think even with a photo you could spot the difference.

The color, the texture, the taste, everything about it screams This is how God intended us to enjoy the food He created...alive and straight from the earth to our bodies. Granted, I don't have any citrus trees in my backyard, so I already have the delay of fresh picked, travelling hundreds of miles, to my local store and then home. But all of this is encouraging me to seek out local sources for fresher options this years. I also can't wait for our patio garden to start producing. But I digress...

Bottom line, know what you're putting in your body and make it good stuff while you're at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment