Saturday, May 25, 2013

US Diner, Florence, KY


Last night, Dale and I tried a new, local-owned restaurant for our date night. US Diner located at 5975 Centennial Circle in Florence, Kentucky, has home cooking that reminds me of my childhood. When I heard the specials of the day were roast beef, meatloaf or beans and cornbread, I remarked to both Dale and our server that it sounded like my Grandma Petree's cooking.

I had the cod fillet special which included a dinner roll, salad and fries. I couldn't finish the meal and honestly, should have chosen something healthier. That was my bad...but the food was good. Dale really liked his meatloaf which also included a dinner roll, salad, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Dale opted for the lemon meringue pie which looked homemade and he said was delicious. I was too full for dessert, but when I heard they had sour cherry pie (another childhood favorite!), I couldn't resist! I did draw the line at having ice cream on top though. To be fair, my mom's cherry pie is the best. This one was satisfactory and might have tasted better had I not been so full. Part of eating healthier is listening to my body when I've had enough. When I don't...the taste just isn't the same. I took half of the pie home as well...and the kids thought it was yummy.

Our specials were $7.50 a piece, but it was a huge amount of food. Sandwich, hot dog and burger platters range from $2.49 for a grilled cheese to $5.49 for a quarter pound cheese burger. They have a few salads, but this is a diner, so don't expect a lot of healthy options.

The US Diner opens at 6 a.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. weekends for breakfast. The most expense item on the breakfast menu is a meat and cheese omelet for $4.59 served with choice of bacon, sausage, ham or Goetta, plus hash browns and toast. All other breakfast platters are $3.99 and sides which include biscuits and gravy are only $1.99.

Kids options are all $2.99 and all beverages are only $1.49. Hopefully, I'm conveying how surprisingly low the cost of all the options are at the Diner. By comparison, we ate at The Pub in Crestview for Mother's Day and three in our family ordered pop which were $2.99 a piece!

This is definitely a family friendly place and you won't break the bank when you eat there. Everyone was super-friendly and asked us repeatedly to come again. Next time, we think we'll try breakfast. You can find their daily specials on their Facebook page U.S. Diner.

Map of Business

1 comment:

  1. We've eaten there for lunch twice now. It's a good stop after t-ball at CUMC. Service was extremely slow today, but 4 eating under $20, where I can sit & be served is worth it. Everything we've had has been very good!

    ReplyDelete