Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Last Two Days

I had great intentions...but putting it into practice has been a different story. Yesterday and today, I have eaten food...some of it not healthy...although the improvement is that it has been in very small amounts. So here's what has happened. Remember this is an effort at transparency to keep me on track, that is why I share.

I did well yesterday until late afternoon, when I was out running errands. I thought I could fight off the urge to stop at the new Panda Express in Florence...but I was wrong. The good news is...I won't be stopping again anytime soon. Leah and I shared a two entree meal. She had orange chicken and I had two bites of it. I chose the "slim wok" (or whatever it is called). This is non-breaded chicken, stir fried in teriyaki with string beans and onions. We chose steamed brown rice as our side. We split this and still threw away half of the rice. American portions are ostentatiously outrageous!

Yet, even though I was neither stuffed, nor even full...less than 30 minutes later I was bloated, swollen and had a headache. Apparently, the MSG...either added or natural from soy sauce...was causing my body to rebel. Okay! I swear! Lesson learned!!

But, oh that popcorn...

Yes, I had some again. It was still homemade and healthier than any store bought. And even though I ate about two cups (less than the last time) I woke up this morning with more dry mouth, dry eyes and feeling loopy. Last night I could tell the salt was dehydrating me so I chugged almost a half gallon of water before bed. I do think it helped, but even with all of that water, I didn't need to get up in the night to use the bathroom. What does that say about the effects of sodium on the body? Even sea salt?

And today is my son's birthday. He wanted donuts for breakfast. Sadly, I obliged. I knew I would have a busy morning, so I picked up a juice at the store while I was out. Okay...here's the worst part about this...I never did get around to juicing today. So I didn't start off too well and although what I've eaten has been mostly good (a salad with grilled chicken, spinach, fresh greens and green onion from our patio, cucumber, nutritional yeast, and about 1 tablespoon of dressing), I did indulge in about 10 french fries from McDonalds too. Let me just add...yuck!

Here's the good in today though. The grocery store accidentally sent an extra donut home with us. I love donuts, but only allowed myself a two inch by half inch sliver. I cannot describe the nasty film that coated the roof of my mouth nor how bad it tasted. Yes...that is a good thing!

So tonight is Noah's birthday dinner out at the place of his choosing. I will do my best to choose wisely, but even with the choices I've made today, which are monumental miles better than in the past...I'm sitting here feeling awful.

Praise God...tomorrow is a new day and I have plenty of oranges, apples, sweet potatoes, grapefruit, kale, spinach, and carrots to juice. I don't like feeling this way...so it's got to stop...there's no turning back!

******************************************************************

Brief summary of the week though. In one weeks time, I have lost 10.5 pounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment