Sunday, July 28, 2013

"Just a Coincidence? I Think Not!"


While singing in church today, I really paid attention to the words...I didn't just lose myself in worship like I normally do. 

Now's the time for us to rise
To carry hope to hopeless lives
To show this world that mercy is alive.

We're not afraid
We will abandon all
To hear Your name
On lips across the world


Another song even said something about us taking to the streets. And somewhere in the middle of this, I thought "No we aren't or we'd already be doing it. We don't want to give up everything for others." And right then I realized that if I still believe that worship music is a form of praying like I've come to think it is, then I am lying to my God and to these people that can hear me. I quickly deflected the uncomfortable scrutiny I felt (as would any good American!) and thought...well most of these people are lying too, then! 

I'm not proud...but it is what it is. The Holy Spirit promptly reminded me to look at myself, not others. I had to admit, He had a point about this lying thing though. It had never occurred to me to be careful about what I sing...that I need to be spot-on with integrity for anything that proceeds from my mouth.

We came home, and I read this Facebook post from a former pastor of ours: 

"Christians don't tell lies, they just go to church and sing them." Author, A.W. Tozer

(Insert jaw drop and and a little laugh out loud!)

I shared this all with Rebekah, our 12 year old, on our walk in the park and the title of this post was her response...I have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment