Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Staples


I used to think of "staples" as bread, milk, coffee, sugar and flour. For years I have laughed as people inundated the grocery stores in anticipation of a winter storm to stock up on items that apparently, they can't live without for a day. Usually, in our neck of the world, that is about the longest you might be stuck inside without access to a store. Since we've become apartment dwellers, I've been even more at ease because one of us could always walk to the convenience store or grocery just up the street.

What struck me as funny today when I returned from my (almost) daily trip to the store is that the photo above now depicts what the word "staple" means to us. I could have thrown some spinach, kale, and leaf lettuce in the picture too. And when I stopped to think about it, I chuckled at the thought of the next "blizzard", as I will undoubtedly trek out...not to help clear off the bread aisles...but rather to elbow out some granny for the last bunch of bananas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment