Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Why I Have Teens

Aside from the obvious answer of "because I once had children," it seems the reason for having teenagers is to keep oneself humble.

Case and point: This morning I was loading some things into our van, when I saw a neighbor whom I haven't seen in several weeks. She said, "Wow! You've lost a lot of weight." Given how much I need to lose, 17 pounds doesn't feel like a lot, so without false humility I replied, "Yah...I've lost a little. Thanks."

She made my day, so I promptly related to my children what she'd said when I walked in the door. Without missing a beat, one of my kids says, "I didn't notice anything."

There's the real humility for me.

It's been about five years since I distinctly heard the Holy Spirit whisper to my heart one little word, humility. I guess He can use anyone to help me stay in check...even my teenagers!

No comments:

Post a Comment