Friday, July 5, 2013

"I Live a SMALL Life!"

Recently, I contacted someone regarding urban community living and he has graciously arranged a meeting with me in about a month's time. Since long before we visited The Simple Way, I have been drawn to this idea of living out urban ministry. Not coincidentally, I've been hearing of more and more people doing this. We definitely haven't made any decisions, but research and the life experience of others is what I'm collecting now. When I learned of a fellowship right here in Cincinnati, I felt compelled to contact the director.

Most groups like this don't want their neighborhoods to become the sites for "poverty tourism" and at best, they have a delicate balance to maintain with neighbors and friends in their communities. I knew there would be a chance the answer would be "No", so I'm thankful to have this opportunity to look forward to.

The gentleman I contacted was willing to meet today, but I didn't feel I could ask the parent I provide childcare for to find backup on such short notice. (Although she assured me later, it would have been fine.) Absent the availability of meeting today, the director of this community fellowship said we'd have to wait a month because he had to travel for work to Israel. Okay, that's interesting enough, but it turns out he's also the president of a group that seeks peace and reconcilliation between Palestinians and Israelis. Yes...read that sentence again.

When I was relaying this story to my friend later (the same mom for whom we are currently providing childcare)...at the end of it...all I could say was "I live a SMALL life!"...and shake my head in wonder.

(sigh)

But here's what my amazing, gracious Abba has been discussing with me since that day, "Angela, it's in the small things that I am revealed."

Ever since I can remember I have wanted to do big...huge...grandiose...(forgive me, there is probably not a word big enough)...things for my Saviour. He sacrificed absolutely everything for me. How could I do any less? I want every single man, woman and child to know that they are loved with this same boundless love! And when everyone on Earth knows it...I would be willing to travel to whatever star system He has in place where they need to know their Abba's Love as well!

With such expansive plans, several years ago, God began to "reel me in" and show me how, while I wanted to save the world...the relationships within my own family were not that good. They have strengthened, and they are better, but there is still much room on my part for improvement. After all, I am the only person in my family that I can "fix". (Even I can't fix myself, only God can...but that's a different post!)

What God's loving Spirit has been speaking to me is that though I long for and even weep at the possibility of participating in the joy of teaching millions of His Love...it is in the daily, small things that I live out His Love that make a difference for eternity. It needs to start with my spouse, my children, the child we care for, our neighbors, our friends, my children's friends, the people we casually come in contact with every day. In our current culture, simply choosing to not "flip my lid" because someone cuts me off on the highway, or in the checkout lane, is a small thing that shouts volumes to a lost and dying world.

So while I may not be crossing the globe in an attempt to end a 6000 year old conflict and I still don't know if we'll be blessed to someday live in urban community with neighbors who need to meet Jesus...I do know that every action I take in Love to draw myself and those in contact with me closer to Jesus has eternal ripples that have tsunami-sized significance.

If all of this weren't blessing enough for the day, this morning I read Ann Voscamp's post from the 4th of July and she writes, "You are doing something great with your life -- when you're doing all the small things with His Great love." 

I guess He wanted to make sure I got it! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment