Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Lone Ranger


This Disney version of the masked rider was nothing like what I remember of the reruns I used to watch as a kid. I'd heard fairly poor reviews of this one, so we hadn't rushed right out to see it, even though it was originally a high priority on My Summer Movie Wishlist.

In the grand scheme of things it still doesn't matter if we saw it the day it came out or not...but despite what I'd heard, the three of us from our family that saw it really enjoyed it! I've shared my disappointment with Star Trek: Into DarknessMan of Steel was a huge letdown for my superhero geekiness. So the pleasant surprise of a good movie that wasn't just rehashing a worn out storyline was refreshing.


I'll confess that the storyline seemed new to me, but then again, I barely remember the old television series starring Clayton Moore. "High ho, Silver away!" and the William Tell overture are the limits of my memories. Johnny Depp is always priceless, especially teamed with the directors and producers of his hit Pirates of the Carribean series. Armie Hammer, while not my favorite actor, pulled off the role...despite the Texan accent not coming across as natural to him. Helena Bonham Carter...no need to explain how great she is in anything she does and Tom Wilkinson is superb as always. 

I'm not certain how this movie has fared amongst all of the huge competition vying for your summer box office dollars...but when Superman has basically fallen off the map and Iron Man 3 and Star Trek are hanging out at the second run theatre and all of the theatres are being overrun by zombiesmonsters, minions and snails (of all things!)...a little good old fashioned cowboys and indians was a fun adventure to share with my kids.

**End note: This movie is rated PG-13 and I think the level of violence was pushing that rating a little. There are some fairly gruesome scenes plus a brothel involved in the story. My children that attended with me are 15 and almost 13. I suggest using caution allowing small children to watch it.**



1 comment:

  1. Glad to see I’m not all that alone in my hatred for this flick, especially since they are easily trying to set this up for a new franchise. Better not happen. Good review Angela.

    ReplyDelete