Thursday, June 27, 2013

Monsters University


Yesterday, we took advantage of $5 Wednesday at a local theater and spent part of the afternoon with Mike and Sully. Well, at least the two younger girls and I did. The older two went to see World War Z. We have loved watching the original Monsters, Inc. over the years and never dreamed there would be a sequel...at least not in the traditional "Disney does a sequel" train of thought.

One of our biggest frustrations with Disney sequels has been that there doesn't seem to be any creative thought put into finding a new and different storyline. Case and point: Ariel wants to leave the sea, her daughter longs to live in the ocean. Simba can't wait to grow up and be on his own, his daughter is a female carbon copy. And Cars 2 was probably the biggest Pixar disappointment for me to date.

Not so with Monsters University! By doing a prequel this time, Pixar had a wide open field of storyline possibilities and I think they came up with a winner. I won't provide any spoilers, but I'd just like to say that the elementary-aged Mike Wazowski is probably the cutest thing I've seen in animation...with Boo from the original and the triplet brother bears from Brave coming in a close second.

It is a great movie and the Pixar short, The Blue Umbrella, is very cute as well. The animation is so realistic I had to remind myself it was a cartoon. Go see the movie and don't forget to keep your ticket stubs to use toward Disney Movie Reward points!


No comments:

Post a Comment