Saturday, June 1, 2013

A New Summer Challenge



Since the pool in our complex is open, we have obviously been spending some time there. The older my girls become each year, the more I dread getting ready for swimsuit season. Unfortunately, they are not confident about their bodies and they dread looking for suits too.

Wednesday as I sat beside Rebekah (who is 12 1/2 but looks like she's 16), I had the thought and made the comment, 'I don't know why we're so worried every year about your swimsuits. You guys are always the most modestly dressed at any pool.' Apparently, she's happy not to show a lot of skin also.

We're not a family of prudes either. The older girls wear tankinis with boyfriend cut bottoms and have their midriffs covered...but it's not like I'm enforcing long sleeves and skirts here. I do see them feeling more confident with a little more coverage too.

Thursday, I was reminded why this needs to be more important to all of us in the Body that call ourselves Jesus followers...I was sitting at the pool beside my son.

My just-turned-15-year-old son was hanging out with me, waiting for his friend to get there and this time I thought "What must it be like for a man to be inundated with all this temptation and yet know he shouldn't lust, ogle or objectify the women who are hardly wearing any clothes?" I know men have a responsibility to discipline their minds and I've heard of a few that have gone to the extreme of not going to public swimming places with their families. I guess my logical, next question is: If we always say "it takes two" to make a relationship work (or when one goes wrong there is never one side that is 100% to blame), then when did situations like not lusting at or objectifying women become solely the man's responsibility to control?

Today, a Facebook friend posted an article about what I think is one of the healthiest attitudes toward swimwear I've ever heard. If you have daughters or sons, please read The Bikini Question

Bottom line...as disciples of Jesus, it's not about us! We always need to be willing to live sacrificially...even with our swimwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment