Friday, June 21, 2013

Blue & Gray Bar & Grill, Gettysburg, PA

Logo

We asked our battlefield tour guide for a local restaurant recommendation and this is what we chose from his suggestions. We had seen it on our drive through the town square area and it looked pretty good.

It was.

We were greeted by a very friendly waitress, but for a family of six, there was really only three places to sit...either at the bar or one of the two tables that were already occupied. A couple of our kids were uncomfortable eating at the bar, so we waited for one of the tables to open up. 


There was a lot of variety to the menu. There are 12 different Battlefield Burger choices alone. Plus, for the Man vs. Food set, a Pickett's Charge Challenge that's free if you finish it. Dale's flag, shows that he stuck with the Union army and chose the General John Fulton Reynolds burger which came on a soft pretzel roll with a corn fritter and warm bacon dressing on top. He thoroughly enjoyed it.

His is the only photo we took, but Noah and Leah had hand-breaded chicken fingers that were yummy, while I had an Ahi Tuna wrap, but the Crab Cakes were very tempting. Abbey chose the Chicken Apple Salad sandwich and Rebekah opted for a Philly Cheesesteak with American cheese instead of Cheeze Whiz as indicated on the menu. A few of us chose waffle sweet potato fries instead of traditional and both blew away any Chick-fil-A competition without a doubt.

Overall, if I had to rate the food, hostess, cleanliness and atmosphere, I'd give this restaurant a solid A. Sadly, our server just wasn't that friendly. I always attempt to be chatty and pleasant because I know servers have a tough job. I can usually get someone to come around and perk up a little. My children have even accused me of being flirtatious when I feel that I'm just being nice. But after about 20 minutes or so with this guy, I gave up trying. This was a pretty pricey place for us, so it annoys me a little when the person we'll be tipping/paying for serving us can't even crack a smile. Oh well!

We still said our requisite pleases and thank yous and we still tipped well, like we always do because we know from personal experience that waiting on a family of six is tough...but it really took until almost the end of the meal before he ever even said, "You're welcome". I just kept telling myself he was probably having a bad day. I'd still only take the experience down to an A- though. If you're in the area, for the food alone, it's definitely worth a try.  

No comments:

Post a Comment