Saturday, June 15, 2013

Soho Pizza, Philadelphia PA


The smell of these is what drew us helplessly into the hole-in-the-wall, incredible lunch place we found in the Old City district of Philadelphia. Yes, those are New York Style slices baked in a brick oven and loaded with lots of different combinations that I'm certain are all delicious...even though I didn't taste any of them. My husband and two youngest daughters said they more than lived up to their appearance and aroma and that one piece each was enough to fill up the girls. Each slice was cheaper than a Happy Meal...so it's a win/win as far as I'm concerned.


In my ongoing effort to keep "Writing a Better Story", buying local and supporting local businesses is becoming more and more important to me. Of course, we had our fair share of fast food and Starbucks visits on this trip, but when we wanted a good meal...at least once daily...we intentionally chose a non-chain, non-corporate, local establishment. Soho Pizza was a great introduction into the delicious options found in Philly. And actually, the cost was about what we would have paid at a Chipotle or something comparable. I probably tipped a little more than I normally would in a place where I have to place my order at the bar...but the guy who took our order was very friendly and gave me a lot of grief for ordering "pop" instead of the East Coast "soda". 


Prior to my juice fast, I kept telling the kids I was definitely going to have a Philly Cheesesteak while in the city that gave it the name, but the further I got into my juice fast, I didn't think I wanted one. Once I walked into Soho Pizza and saw what they looked like, I couldn't resist sharing a sandwich with Noah. The sandwich on the plate is my half and the sandwich in the foreground is Abbey's Mama's Chicken sandwich of which she also could only eat half. They both were huge, could easily be split and were delicious. At about $8 per sandwich, when sharing...that means about the same price as the chain version of Subway...only infinitely better tasting!. 

So, I'd had my Philly Cheesesteak and had no more. As Mary Poppins once said, "Enough is as good as a feast!" If you're ever in Philly, I hope Soho Pizza is still there...try it and you'll be glad you did!


No comments:

Post a Comment