Monday, June 17, 2013

This Thing We Take For Granted

Abbey and Noah standing in Independence Hall Plaza

All over Philadelphia, we encountered people from multiple countries, speaking as many languages as you can imagine. I fully expected this when touring New York City, but Philadelphia?

I knew various ethnicities and nationalities lived there, but watching Australians, Indians, Germans, Russians, Koreans, Chinese, French, Japanese and more, queuing up for U.S. historical sites left me asking: "Why are they interested in our history?" 

I didn't ask anyone, but the answer that resonated with me was this: You see...there's this thing called freedom.

It's irresistible isn't it? Just ask someone who doesn't have it. They'll most likely salivate at the very notion of living a life that is free to choose their own path.

As I pondered this thought, I realized just how much I take it for granted. But here's where I may differ from what most Americans equate with freedom...while I may not join you in your protests to defend what you deem to be the most important part of the Constitution...I LOVE that I live in a land where for now, you can. But what I'm thinking of is Freedom of the Soul. That is the only freedom that can never be taken away. Amen!

The clock and bell tower of Independence Hall

So while thousands every year flock to the monuments and parks that commemorate a human copy of liberty...what if instead...we where building lives that shouted out to this freedom-thirsty world, "You can't find freedom in a building or even old documents, but I know the One that can give True Freedom that will never end!" 

That, my friends would indeed be a Revolution!


"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is Freedom." (2 Corinthians 3:17, NIV, emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment