Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It was "Too Small of a Thing"!


I am increasingly falling in love with the book of Isaiah. Today's golden nugget of Truth was found in chapter 49. I'll reiterate that I am not a biblical scholar, but this chapter reads to me like it is messianic prophecy.

"The LORD called Me from the womb;
From the body of My mother He named Me.
He has made My mouth like a sharp sword,
In the shadow of His hand He has concealed Me;
And He has also made Me a select arrow,
He has hidden Me in His quiver." (Verses 1-2)

In the Bible, whenever there is a reference to God, Jesus or the Holy Spirit, it is capitalized. So I'm making the assumption that the original Hebrew indicates in the passage above that God...in some form of the Trinity is speaking. I made the further conclusion that since Jesus is the only One to have taken upon Himself human flesh and inhabited a womb, it must be Him.

In verse five, Jesus confirms that "from the womb", He was destined to be God's Servant. His servanthood would include bringing Jacob back to God. Here's what inspired me to be immensely thankful today:

"He says, "It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant
To raise up the tribes of Jacob and to restore the preserved ones of Israel;
I will also make You a light to the nations
So that My salvation may reach to the end of the earth.'" (Isaiah 49:6)

I pray I'm not wrong or deter from the intent of the text, but what the verse meant to me is this:
Jesus (God in human flesh) in this mystery wrapped in an enigma that is the Trinity...was the Servant of God, the Father. In His service to the Father, He would "raise up...and...restore" the ones who had been set aside to become a nation of priests. We know them as the tribes of Jacob or Israel. But over 650 years before the Messiah ever arrived...God knew that the measures that Jesus would take to redeem Israel was too great a sacrifice to be just for them. He declares centuries before the crucifixion ever happens that his unfathomable sacrifice would absolutely be worth it. Why? "So that My salvation may reach the end of the earth."

You see, rescuing Israel alone was..."too small a thing". I don't know about you...but as a member of a non-Israel tribe...I am overwhelmingly thankful that from the first thought of salvation, He planned for it to extend all the way "to the end of the earth"!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment