Friday, June 28, 2013

Cathay Kitchen, Florence, Kentucky

Image

Our favorite Chinese restaurant...hands down...is Cathay Kitchen. It's located at 8049 Connector Drive, Florence, KY. We have eaten there several times and I have negligently never reviewed it. When I worked at Jackson Hewitt for the 2012 tax season, I was just about five doors down from this place. Actually, I was about half-way between Cathay Kitchen and Acapulco Mexican. Not once, did I eat Mexican for lunch though.

Michelle, the owner, was always gracious even when I would get delayed from picking up my food by an unexpected customer, the food is always delicious and she even gave me a discount when I worked in the same strip mall. We don't visit there as often now, but usually someone in the family will pick it for a holiday or birthday option. Such was the case today when my parents were in town for Leah's birthday.

The kids love the orange chicken and pork lo mein. I have tried the General Tso's, cashew chicken and the lite and healthy pick your own veggie meal...all to great satisfaction. Only once did someone have something they didn't like and it was the chicken curry. It wasn't that it was bad, it just had a different flavor than what was expected.

I also like that you can get vegetarian or vegan options and they offer steamed brown rice. The ginger dressing on their house salad is homemade and the best I've ever had from any Japanese or Chinese restaurant or store bought option. 

If you're not looking to eat healthy though, the egg rolls and crab rangoon are the best of any other Chinese restaurant we've tried. And they make their own sweet and sour sauce. That's Leah's go-to meal from any Chinese place and Cathay Kitchen is the only one that doesn't have that bottled bright red sauce. Again, it's chicken, covered in homemade sauce (not chicken pieces to dip) with large pieces of onions, pineapple and green peppers, just like I used to make at home.

Cathay Kitchen usually has coupons in the home mailers or coupon magazines that come in the mail. They offer dine in or carry out and have a full bar too. They sell desserts also, but we have always been too full to try them.

This is a family owned and operated business and supports our local economy. We will drive past about four to five different Chinese places to go here. It's about 15 minutes away from us and there is a Chinese restaurant in Hebron we could walk to...it's that good.

Next time you're craving Chinese...try Cathay Kitchen...I know you'll like it just as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment