Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Book Thief: A Movie Review (Book Review too!)


A few years ago, my husband highly recommended that I read this book. I did. To say it wasn't my favorite would be an understatement. I mean, it was good...and I did greatly enjoy reading about World War II from a German citizen's perspective...but I have read so many accounts of this, one of my favorite historical time periods, that it simply didn't stand out as the phenomenal book it was reviewed to be.

I was intrigued though when I learned that a movie was being made. Somehow I thought the book could translate visually for me much better. The whole Death-as-a-narrator-thing was unsettling to me in the book, but I have to admit, it worked well in the movie. He was much more subdued and it was easier to understand precisely when He was speaking. That was the greatest hindrance to me in the book...the flip-flopping of Death's narration versus dialogue...was a bit confusing for my limited intellect.

Thrown in to the movie mix one of my favorite actors, Geoffrey Rush...combined with solid performances from Emily Watson and Sophie Nelisse...and I have to admit, I'm glad I held out hope for the movie.

Every once in a very great while, there is a film that supersedes the original written work. For me, The Book Thief, is one of those rare occasions. It is currently available from Amazon for digital download or, like us, you can rent it from Redbox. With a PG-13 rating for mild violence and thematic material, it's also one of the few offerings for a historical drama that you can watch with your children too.


No comments:

Post a Comment