Wednesday, April 23, 2014

...And People Are LEARNING Too!

Photo: I know it's a very humble beginning but look -I got GRASS!!! Can't wait to eat and juice some. Thanks for teaching me oh wise one :D Going to get started on my compost bin this week and then I will be able to get me some WORMS too!!! I know I'm goofy but I'm just so thrilled that I grew something I can actually eat and I'm on my way to more  :)
Chandra's microgreens and wheatgrass, one week after planting.

My previous post was entitled, I've Been Teaching Others to Start Gardening. As a sometimes-writer, the phrase didn't flow as well as I wanted it to, but it got the point across.

Or so I thought.

Today, my friend, Chandra's photo posted on my Facebook wall more appropriately describes the joy I feel in teaching others to grow food for themselves. Thus, the reason for the title of today's post. Because it just doesn't matter how often or how diligently I teach...someone has to want to learn it too.

Chandra now knows how to grow her own microgreens and wheatgrass. Both are densely packed with amazing nutrients and are part of the much touted "superfood" group that is all the rage in organic, whole food nutrition circles.

I think she's ready to move on to some bigger plants now. Perhaps a tomato or two.

And speaking of tomatoes...I was thrilled this morning to spend some time with the Flanagans planting red potatoes and tomatoes. Several years ago when we both were facing job losses in our families, we joked (albeit, I had a hint of seriousness) about just buying some land and starting a commune to support ourselves. Gardening together might not exactly be communal living...but for me, sharing the work and harvest of community gardening has all the positives of shared living and none of the not-so-positives.

Once again...God is refining in me this idea that the Vision He has for my life can be lived now. Little did I know that when I said I believed Him, He would give me three places to help garden, eight people that would come to my home to get started, tomato plants and worm bins for close to a dozen families now and people from around the world reading this blog for tips and tidbits of info about healthier, organic gardening.

Oh....there is so much more to be done...so much more.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment