Wednesday, April 30, 2014

What's Going on in the Patio Garden? (End of April Update)


Yes...right in the middle of that photo is the very faint beginnings of a tomato blossom...a.k.a the bud. This is a Tigerella heirloom that I started from seed in mid-February and by early April was begging to be transplanted into a pot...a.k.a. a five-gallon bucket.

I will attempt to update periodically, but am getting very busy with lots of various things...all of which are good (gardening with friends and at our place; graduation for our oldest; getting her ready for Mission Year; etc.) so I haven't been writing as much lately. I hope to get back to the writing very soon. For now, here's an update of what I have growing on our patio garden.


Along with the six potted tomatoes, there are marigolds and the recent addition of my vertical herb garden


The now-opened greenhouses are home to a few herbs, green onions, radishes, carrots, spinach and several greens.


I have broccoli, cauliflower and kale that were probably started too late, given that we're slated to be in the 80's late next week. Peas will soon be growing up the now useless satellite tri-pod, that I keep solely for its trellising capabilities. There is an amaryllis in the bottom right that I purchased half-price just before Christmas. Usually these are bought during the holidays, bloom and are tossed out. I found a website that walks you through how to keep them growing, although I'll probably have difficulty forcing it to bloom in December since I don't have a hothouse or cool storage. I almost forgot. There is a hanging basic with the small beginnings of nasturtium too. In the foreground are my five canvas grocery bags with which I am experimenting growing red potatoes. So far, they look pretty good.

It's not enough to feed the whole family or to have an abundance to sell or share...but it's enough to keep me busy, fuel my passion for growing things and supplement our produce bill. And I'm okay with that!








No comments:

Post a Comment