Thursday, June 27, 2013

Wisdom From My Friend Chandra

Chandra is one of the single moms I am deeply privileged to know. She has not only been caring for her son as a single parent, about two years ago or so, she moved back in with her mother so she could serve her as she began exhibiting signs of dementia and possibly Alzheimer's. Chandra would never take any credit for the amazing way she has been coping with the hand that has been dealt to her...so I'll just say that if you could...you should know her.

One of the things she's great at is sharing with her Facebook friends the lessons she learns on her journey. Last night was a beautiful example and I asked her permission to share it with you.


God's patience is something to really marvel at. I mean for those of us that believe - we trust that He made the sun, moon, stars, and earth and holds it all in place - that He formed us with His own two hands in our mother's wombs and knows each of our days and how many hairs are on our heads yet when problems arise a lot of times our first instinct is to panic and not trust that He sees, hears, or cares, or will work in our favor and we have to fight and struggle to 'work up' this faith to believe that He will indeed help us again, 'this time' ....Didn't He do so the last time? And the time before that? I would've lost patience a LONG time ago with someone that acts as silly as I do with this at times.

I think of how aggravated it would make me if Chase kept coming to me everyday asking and begging in full fright, "Will you feed me again today? Will you clothe me Mom? Will you hold me? Will you tend to and bandage my scrapes and hurts? Will you ever give me snacks or presents? Do you love me? I mean do you REALLY love me? Will you protect me in the storm? Will you shield me from things that might hurt me? Please Mom, will you? Please Mom, I'm begging you" ....I mean, that would hurt (and anger) me so much if he doubted my love for him like that and was that fearful that I wouldn't care for him the very best that I could and do anything and everything in the world to make sure he was safe, happy, healthy, and had everything he needed and more. I mean haven't I proven that to him time and time again? How and why in the world would he doubt me or my love for him like that after all I've done for him?

If God sees fit to give me my very next breath, well, I think we should be able to trust that He will also care about and provide for the rest of my needs.

“Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

“You parents—if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him. Matthew 7:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment