Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Simple Way, Philadelphia PA



For a few days now, I've been mulling over what to write about this group of people that want to live "simply" but whose impact has such significance that it reaches around the globe and even right into my life.

The first time I ever read anything about The Simple Way, I think it was in Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz. But I can't be certain now without skimming the entire book (which honestly, at this late hour I don't want to do). I know I once read an article about "New Monasticism" in Christianity Today and TSW was a central focus. Thanks to the internet, I even found the 2005 article available online.

The thought always intrigued me...what if we could live like the early church fathers (and mothers) taught us...collectively...taking care of each other, so that no one who called God "Abba" would go without food, clothing, water or shelter. This particularly hit close to home in 2009 when my husband lost his job. I remember frequently suggesting (half serious/half joking...but mostly serious), that the five or so families that were then unemployed in our church of about 75, should try to pool together with others to form a commune. [Yeah, that idea didn't go very far!]

When it was very real to me that in a few months time we may not have a place to live, I remember conversations with my "brothers and sisters" that often ended with one of them saying something like 'well, I don't think I could ever take someone into my home...but I could put them up in a hotel for awhile.' I do not speak of everyone I knew during that time, but this was a prevailing theme in conversation after conversation about poverty and what God may ask of any Christ follower.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I finally read Irresistible Revolution. I wasn't blogging much at the time, so I didn't review it. But right before we left for Philadelphia I wrote a post about the book and how it tied into some of the current sermon series our pastor had begun. Needless to say, the book impacted me enough that I wanted to "come and see" as the author puts it. And so I dreamed that some day we would...and this vacation was partly that: an opportunity to "come and see".

TSW asks that when you visit you be mindful of the delicate balance of the neighborhood and that they not become a place for "poverty tourism". I wanted to respect what they do and the people they serve, so we took no photos of the neighborhood or the different locations TSW now maintains in the Kensington section of North Philly. But you can take a virtual tour of the neighborhood online.

There are a few ways to connect with TSW that they open up to everyone...8 a.m. morning prayer and if there is a Thursday evening "Midrash", anyone is invited. I attended morning prayer twice. Dale, Noah and Leah went with me the second time. It was definitely different from anything I have ever experienced...and in a good way. As we were driving home, I was reminded that any Monday through Friday at 8 a.m., I know I can pray for them as they are praying with each other. That bedrock of prayer is obviously important to them.

Since I knew going into our visit that I might not get to see all that I wanted, I was looking forward to chatting with Coe from The Simple Way. He's the Office Manager, but also lives in and cares for The Hospitality House where we stayed. Coe was gracious and kind to have six people invade his space and I did enjoy the time we had to talk with him. Sometimes we feel like the oddball couple with a different set of priorities and resources than most people we know. To hear Coe speaking aloud some of the very same things our hearts have expressed was a beautiful gift of peace and grace that we are not alone.

One thing I really, really wanted to see was their new aquaponics green house. Dan kindly took some time out of his busy day to show us and it was pretty cool. Coe said the afterschool kids on Thursday of our trip had a chance to eat some of the produce growing there. The disconnect between nature and the inner city is huge...this is one small way to bridge the gap. That and the green spaces that TSW maintains in the neighborhood.

I left Philadelphia ready to return. It's not only a city with more venues and historical sites to see...but I know I could learn a lot from the people of The Simple Way. I've already been asking God, "How do we implement the principles of what I did see and I know they are living where you have us placed for now?" It looks easy when you're surrounded by intense poverty. I know it's not easy...but when you can see the needs everywhere, it seems you can just dig in and go. In the places where we are...home, church, work, neighborhood...how do we, The Barthauers, live out the Love we know He wants us to share?

I don't need to look to The Simple Way...I just need to start where they did...asking the question: How did Jesus do it...and what's stopping me from doing that now?

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment