Thursday, June 6, 2013

That Yucky Feeling Is Just Not Worth It

I've already noticed that It Doesn't Take Long for Change, and in the past I have had similar experiences after detoxifying my body. If or when you add food back into your diet to which you are either sensitive or have an allergy, your body will tell you...quickly.

So far, my list of foods to exclude or at least decrease to almost non-existent includes refined sugar, refined wheat, beef, pork and dairy. Today, I'm pretty certain I have to go even further and unfortunately, this one could have huge ramifications for one of my favorite activities...baking.

I am still juicing two or three times a day, but have been attempting to add in some healthy options too. I confess, they haven't all been healthy, but a majority have been. This morning I fixed my breakfast juice and was looking for my sourdough bread recipe...when I came across my pumpkin scone recipe instead. I even had some canned pumpkin already open in the refrigerator that needed used up too. It was too good to be true...literally.

I don't know what my body is rejecting, but ever since an hour after eating it, I have had a horrible, pounding headache. I have even felt lightheaded and fuzzy. I used whole ingredients, including a blend of gluten free and organic spelt flours, aluminium free baking powder, organic spices, pumpkin puree, farm fresh eggs, coconut oil and organic sucanot. There isn't much sugar in scones to begin with and I thought using sucanot, which hasn't been processed and refined would be even better. I was wrong.

This feeling is just not worth the brief taste experience of a fresh scone. My family will have to adjust to Mom baking less, but they've already done great with the changes I've made. This was the first time I've baked anything for breakfast since my juicing began on May 14th and they haven't complained once.

I truly am okay with giving up breakfast carbs if it means being healthy...but I'm left with one lingering question: Next week, on our vacation, without my ever-present juicer and smoothie blender by my side...how will I consistently eat healthy so I can avoid missteps like this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment