Sunday, July 7, 2013

Beautiful Creatures, the Movie


I've distinguished that this is a movie review because my daughter, Rebekah, informed me it was also a book. And last night was Redbox night...thanks to a couple of e-coupons we'd received! We opted for this choice and Warm Bodies, which we'll have to watch later today.

Emma Thompson is hands down one of my favorite actresses...but sometimes I guess she needs to pay the bills. This movie must have been one of those choices for money over material. She's an Oscar winner and is always amazing, I just think she should have passed on this script. I'll add the same observation for Oscar winning actor Jeremy Irons, who doesn't have quite the same level of skills as Thompson, but was nonetheless wasted on this movie. You get the general idea of the quality, without me revealing any spoilers...not that there are very many to reveal.

About halfway through, I could see that someone must have thought, "Hey, let's make this as much like Twilight as possible and they'll be sure to love it!" Teen angst; "I'm a loser because I'm different"; "No you're not...you're powers are amazing!" Yes, it was even replete with bad special effects ala Twilight. I just kept thinking that the book must have been great for someone to make it into a movie. Not so, added Rebekah.

Apparently  the book wasn't "that good to begin with" and the numerous changes they made in the script did not help. All of this left me asking...why did she suggest we watch it? And...too bad Redbox doesn't give refunds for stinky movies.

Overall rating = C- (The only reason I didn't venture lower is because I try to be nice and I am giving props to Thompson and Irons...and Viola Davis...for showing up to work each day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment