Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I L-O-V-E, Love, Media-Free Mondays!

In a previous post, I mentioned this idea of abstaining from all electronic media each Monday. Well, we did it! Of course, the kids grumbled a little, but surprisingly, it was much less than I thought it would be.

For two weeks now we've enjoyed our Mondays free of TV, DVDs, Wii, PS2, Game Boy or Nintendo DS, texting, computers and yes, even iPods. I guess whoever invented the iPod didn't think mothers repeated themselves enough, so he decided to create something that was small enough to tote anywhere, plug up your ears with and then give you the ability to tune out all other living existence around you!

Now, in and of themselves, none of these electronics are evil. In fact, they make our lives more enjoyable and sometimes efficient. [Although, when the computers not running right, gets a virus or requires an update/installation, I always question if it really saves us that much time.] But when any or all of these are used day in and day out with no thought of restriction, they are very isolating. And we've shared with our kids time and again that the reason we attend the church that we do, participate in a cell group and live the lifestyle (i.e. poor!) that we do is because we believe that from the beginning God created us to be relational beings.

God is relational and longs for us to have relationship with Him and each other in the context of a faith community. So why do we allow days, weeks and months on end to go by with no thought about how isolated we've become. Sure, we chat on facebook, e-mail and text each other and tell ourselves that our world is better connected than ever. But I'd just like to pose the question that is this true? Or are we yet again, buying into the lie that satan has told us? Even this blog is isolating. It's like divulging all of your hopes, comments and opinions to an anonymous friend. (And if anyone responds and you don't like the comment, you can always block it or in the case of Facebook, defriend them.)

I can't remember the last time a friend just called to chat. I used to do this all the time and some of those hours on the phone with friends are some of the dearest conversations I've ever had. But now, we're all so busy that we text a quick question, e-mail late at night and answer at our own convenience (which I confess I like) and are actually perturbed when a friend calls, interrupts our day and just wants to chat. This is if we answered the phone...voice mail is an amazing thing after all!

Sure, I can pride myself on living a more efficient life...managing my time, my schedule, my family much better than my ancestors ever dreamed. But I know just in my own life the isolation grows more and more each year as everyone I know fills their lives (and schedules) to the absolute limit before reaching the level of insanity. Then we have to schedule get togethers way in advance (if at all!), only see each other at church or cell group and never have the spontaneity to say, 'just stop by sometime when you have a chance'. Basically, I need to remember that all of the things I just said were mine (time, schedule & family) aren't...they're His. And daily, I need to be seeking the Holy Spirit's guidance for what He wants me to do with the time He's given me, His schedule and the family He's blessed me to be a part of. Then, I can thoroughly expect Him to interrupt it with the needs of others...even if it's just a need to chat.

What are we teaching our kids on Media-Free Mondays? Hopefully, that sacrificing our wants and desires for one day each week draws us closer to God through this form of fasting. But also, I'd like for them to begin each week stripped down, ready to run the race, focused on the big prize of loving Jesus and others before themselves. If nothing else, I get to relax, play games with my kids, see them laugh (and do a lot of laughing myself) all without feeling compelled to go check my e-mail and see to whom I need to respond.

This is going to become more challenging as I gear up for tax season since Dale and I have some overlap of work time. But I've even contacted my office manager and pushed back the time I can start on Mondays so the kids aren't alone long. And if it becomes too much, my office manager has someone else he can have come in on Mondays. Our family Mondays are something that I would be more than willing to sacrifice work and money to keep separate. Truly they feel like more of a Sabbath than Sundays do.

But last night, I found myself dreading Tuesday morning. As the family is playing Life, laughing, joking and having a good time, I felt myself getting impatient because I knew I'd be broadsided with e-mails, research on the internet, chores and just, life...all while my kids go back to iPods, video games & computers. It even crossed my mind to try to think of another day of the week to go media-free...but I know I'd have more than a minor revolt on my hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment