Friday, February 22, 2013

Learning a Lesson?

This evening, my youngest decided she didn't want to do the chore assigned to her for the day...folding a basket of laundry. So after her attempts at wheeling and dealing a different (yes, easier) chore or the chance to postpone it for a day I decided to finally concede...I am a bit of a pushover as a parent.

What chore did I give her in place of folding one basket of laundry? The somewhat easier chore of carrying out the trash. When she was given this option she was quite excited.

After the fourth trip to the dumpster (I kept bagging up more trash!), through the muddy yard, waiting for cars to pass so she could cross the street in the slightly chilly air...when she stumbled in the door for the last time and made her way to her room to change her muddy pants with bright, rosy cheeks...I quietly asked, "Next time, would you  like to just fold the basket of clothes?"

The hearty, "Yes!" was enough reward for creative parenting for this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment