Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Monk

"Well it's a jungle out there..." and our family has enjoyed every minute of it!

This isn't a show we watched when it originally aired, but as we've grown dissatisfied with any offerings on the major networks and we no longer have satellite TV, we've sought a series that would appeal to us all...well, most of us at least. Upon the recommendation of a few friends...we found it in Monk.

I remember Tony Shaloub from Wings but this series was an excellent showcase for his superb acting skills. Thanks to Netflix, we were able to devour all eight seasons in a few months time. Our nightly question after dinner became, "Can we start an episode of Monk?"

[Spoiler alert!} When we finished up the series about a week ago, I was sad to have it end. Not to mention I was touched by my compassionate 8 year old's tears as Mr. Monk struggled to survive after having been poisoned. In just a short time, we've grown to care for Monk, Captain Stottlemeyer, the knucklehead sidekick Randy, and first Sherona, then Natalie. We wanted all of them to have a happy ending...and of course, they did! But most of all, we wanted to know who killed Trudy?! I won't spoil that one for you.

But as I went to bed after having watched the series finale and with thoughts of all the "Monk-isms" that are now a part of our family, I wondered if there will ever be a series again that is this entertaining, engaging and family friendly? Tony Shaloub and Monk proved that it can be done. My next thought was, "I hope someone asks Netflix for their stats occasionally. Maybe they'll see the programs that families ditch the networks for."

It was fun while it lasted, but my favorite scene is still the wipees on the rungs of the ladder as he descended into the sewer.

"I could be wrong now...but I don't think so!"

Mentioned in this post:

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's too funny. My daughter and I did the exact same, sometimes watching 2 episodes a night. And yes, what a sad day when we finally finished. I still watch the reruns on Ch. 64 on Friday nights when I can. WE LOVE MONK! Such a gentle spirit. I often wondered if there might not be a Christian somewhere in the producers, so often there are such themes of redemption - especially in the final episode.

    ReplyDelete