Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Problem of Temptation

Have you ever wished that temptations would just be removed? If you've ever had a constant struggle in your life, you know of what I speak. No matter the addiction: alcohol, drugs, sex or food...don't we at some point just wish that all the opportunities for temptation in that area could simply be removed?

Of course I have!

The battle against that "thing" becomes so wearying that we begin to dream of a world without it. When we succumb to the temptation and guilt and shame wash over you like a wave of wallowing pain, don't we begin to fantasize of a life where the issue is conquered and we stand completely satisfied and content without it?

My "issue" for as long as I can remember has been food. I've shared this several times on this blog. And if you share my struggle, you know the depth of shame and guilt over battling this area for year after year. Especially when our culture tells us time and again that it's just a matter of  "self-discipline". I'm not sure how anyone else has handled their food issues, but I have yet to be able to abstain from food completely. Our food-focused culture doesn't help either!

And then today, I read this quote by Samuel Rutherford in Reversed Thunder by Eugene Peterson:
"I find it most true, that the greatest temptation out of hell is to live without temptations. If my waters should stand, they would rot. Faith is the better of the free air, and of the sharp winter storm in its face. Grace withereth without adversity. The devil is but God's master fencer, to teach us to handle our weapons."

Have we ever considered that temptations are training grounds for our faith? I know I haven't.

What if instead of dreading the battle, I took the battle to the One that defends me best? What if my temptations to grumble, judge, have a critical spirit or use food for comfort instead of fuel were opportunities to extend grace to myself...and others who struggle with the same issues? What if, when I'm tempted I thanked God for the opportunity to sharpen my skills and hone my faith? What if instead of dreading the thought of temptation, I realized that although I don't want to throw myself openly into situations where I know I'm weak...I could instead remember that temptation will come...it's inevitable...so I should be ready with the full armor of the Lord! (see Ephesians 6:10-17)

I love the thought that 'standing waters will rot'. I don't want to "rot" in my faith, do you? So I pray I remember this quote the next time I'm standing in a full-blown temptation. I pray I can stop and thank Him for refining my faith and growing my grace. What an awesome God to even be able to take the "fiery arrows" of the enemy and turn it into growth opportunities and preparation for the future battles we face! Amen!


Mentioned in this post:

1 comment: