Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Humble Glory

Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it? Humble glory. How is such a thing to be attained? Can we even attain it? With a little bit of a play on words, James evidently thinks such a thing exists:

"But the brother of humble circumstances is to glory in his high position..." (James 1:9)

As you're well aware by now, we live in much humbler circumstances than we did just four years ago. Most of the time, I've done anything but glory in them. Actually, I struggle with even the meaning of that word. I always think of glory in terms of an explanation I once heard describing that "God's glory" essentially means "His true character". If you really think about it, what James suggests makes perfect sense. Didn't Jesus perfectly embody "God's glory" in some of the most humble circumstances we could never imagine ourselves in?

To my knowledge, I don't have any friends or family that were ever born in a barn, laid in a feeding trough with smelly animals surrounding them, never rented or owned a home and was completely dependent upon God's provision and the kindness of others for food, shelter and clothing from the beginning to the end of their ministry. Suffice it to say, I've never known any martyrs that have been beaten and crucified either. I think we can safely conclude that Jesus high position was exemplified through His humility.

In my struggle to find my footing in this new life, I've waffled far too much between being Thankful for the Privilege and whining because of all the uncertainty in our lives. God's patience with me has been eye opening to say the least! But as I keep running through this memory work in James and every day I'm reciting these verses:  "But the brother of humble circumstances is to glory in his high position; and the rich man is to glory in his humiliation, because like the flowering grass he will pass away." (James 1:9-10)
I've wrestled with this question:  God...am I the brother of humble circumstances or the rich man?

Now, economically, as measured by American charts and graphs...I'm the humbler of the two. But globally...well, I'm ashamed to say I'm the rich man. So what do I do with this? Do I glory in my high position or do I glory in my humiliation?

As I've reflected on this and as I even think back over what I've shared on this blog, I think it's a combination of both...thus, my struggle with waffling. It also explains my struggle with how to be truthful about our situation, yet put it in a positive light because I don't want to appear to be guilting someone into giving to us.

And here's what I really can't even begin to process and wrap my brain around...and I almost think this is where I have to let it settle...be prepared, this is not going to fit into a 'nice, pretty, theological package':

While I long to glory in my humiliation, because then my God's power and providence is best displayed...and rejoicing in my humble circumstances does exemplify God's true character...we Western civilization Christians are not anywhere close to being comfortable with that.

So while I could shout 'Hallelujahs and Amens' all day long that we don't have enough and God is still good through it all (see Habakkuk 3:17-18)...I could even go so far to say how much better off we are now that we don't have a house, nice cars, lots of stuff, fancy vacations and money to waste and it would be very, very true...but honestly, I probably only know a handful of people that would even rejoice with me about this.

Now I know I'm only supposed to live and breath for an audience of One and that the opinions/approval of others isn't supposed to matter...and I'd say 90% of the time I'm okay without it. But some days, I'm just exhausted of the feeling of being the one swimming against the stream. I guess on those days I must be too busy trying to swim in my own strength.

Where I guess I'm going to have to leave this is just to be content with being honest and continuing to be grateful...and vocal...about God's faithful provision and His gracious forgiveness. If that unsettles you or makes you feel guilty...please be content in remembering that is never my intent. Honestly, I'm not supposed to seek your approval...so don't feel obligated to give it to me. In fact, it will make me stronger in God if I only hear the approval from Him. And the challenge for me to remember is that even when all I have to be thankful for is my own humiliation...that's okay because James also was inspired to provide us with a promise:
"Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has passed the test, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." (James 1:12)

I'm okay not have the latest and greatest gadget...the nice car...nice clothes...fancy food, vacations...etc. and I'm learning not to begrudge those that do. This is my test...and I'll readily admit that it may not be anyone else's...this may be my burden alone. I'm okay with that because I have a "crown of life" waiting for me that will have made all of the humble times seem meaningless in comparison.

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for my humble circumstances and even for the humiliation that it brings. I'm also longing for the day when He shows me how it all made sense. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment