Sunday, October 19, 2014

Bringing the Garden Inside


The patio garden starts to look pretty bleak this time of year. As the weather dips cooler and the sun's rays are shorter, I begin to transition the garden inside for the winter.


I will continue to leave the herbs and greens outside until the frost is too heavy and the greenhouse can't protect them through the night, but some of the late tomatoes will survive up against our building at least until the days are cold too.




This year, I did bring one tomato plant inside and I've already moved our dining room around to accommodate the winter "jungle" that my kids just love (sarcasm intended!)


The citrus trees and a few greens have been placed under the grow light and I'm really praying that the trees make it through to next summer so they can go outside again in the warm weather.



This year, for the first time, I'm attempting to grow greens and kale hydroponically in a deep water culture tank. I've researched this for over a year now and was still highly intimidated. I don't know why it's so scary, but I think adding the right mix of chemicals is what seems overwhelming. The always friendly and helpful staff at Worm's Way make it sound relatively easy though and I know they're only a phone call away if I have any questions.

So while most gardeners, myself included, are cleaning up their plots or patios and gearing down for a season of rest, I've actually been spending quite a bit of time transitioning into my secondary growing season. I hope to keep you updated on the indoor garden process. My goal is to produce enough sprouts and greens that we need not purchase them at the store. It's an admirable goal and one that for the first time I think is actually attainable with the hydroponic system. 



No comments:

Post a Comment