Monday, October 27, 2014

River Road Ramblings


I love living near the Ohio River. Honestly, I could easily while away the hours on a gorgeous day like today, simply listening to the gentle ripples as the warm breezes stir this majestic and beautiful river. We've been studying the Northern Kentucky region for school...its history, geography, ecology and even  the marine life contained within it.  Today, we wrapped up our study with an amazing drive along the river road that meanders across the tip of our state. We had no agenda...just clear blue skies, an unusually warm late October day, more happy fall color than Bob Ross could ever give a tree, a little bit of gas in the car and my always-ready-for-an-adventure attitude.

We often tread the path between our home and the Covington or Newport areas along this road. I enjoy driving the river route when we have the time, because the interstate just can't compare.

A little more than an hour into our trip today, we ended up in Augusta, Kentucky. This small river town hands down has to be one of the cutest little places I've ever seen. Just look at their Welcome Center...


As only I would, we saved this stop for last. (Welcome to my world!) Inside Dorothy greeted us with her space heaters cranked up to 90, smelling like my grandma, and a head full of history and trivia that only a tiny town like this could contain. I instantly loved her!

We only spoke to two people on our little excursion (Dorothy and a shopkeeper), but both conveniently name dropped George Clooney. It seems Mr. Clooney graduated from high school here and his parents still live in the town. Both ladies pointed out his mother's store, which would have been easy to identify if I had indeed known his mom's name is Nina.


There's also a ferry boat that crosses here and Dorothy told us pedestrians are free to cross. But if you have your own boat, you can pull right up to the riverside park. I'm not a boating person myself, but boat ties on the side of the river seem to indicate to me that it's deep enough for you to dock here.


Dorothy also informed us that the longest stretch of the Ohio River that is straight is about 9 miles long...and Augusta lies on that stretch. All of the homes along the riverfront were built in the 1700s or 1800s. I'll add to Dorothy's helpful information that these house are also absolutely adorable.



On our brief walking tour, my kids chastised me for taking a picture of this private yard. My response? "Anyone who spends this much time on their garden, wants it to be admired."


Leah mentioned several times that the town reminded her of Storybrook. That's the fictional town where her favorite TV program, Once Upon a Time, takes place. I had to admit, Augusta felt more "Southern" than I am accustomed to feeling in Northern Kentucky. I could almost picture myself standing next to the Mighty Mississippi somewhere in Louisiana, instead of standing across the river from the state of Ohio.

As we were looking around, I kept picturing this cute little place all dressed up for Christmas. Both ladies we spoke with concurred that Christmas would be a great time to return. I think we'll be back.


Last week, we also worked in a trip to Rabbit Hash, Kentucky, when my parents were here. Yes, you read that correctly, Rabbit Hash. This is what I expect a Kentucky river town to look like. We love Rabbit Hash, but there's not much to do there on a weekday, other than visit the General Store. 



As we continue to explore Kentucky, little treasures like Bellevue and Augusta reinforce my love for this beautiful state. Next region...Bluegrass.








No comments:

Post a Comment