Saturday, October 11, 2014

How To Let Go?



As a 40-something mother of four, I am thankful to a God who once planted into my soul that one of my greatest blessings would be to release our children into His service. I didn't know the how, the when, the where, or the why...I only knew from very nearly the start of the parenting journey that releasing them to His care and provision would always be one of my greatest acts of obedience.

When you're knee-deep in diapers, the throes of homeschooling woes, with the seasons flying by you in a blurry flurry of birthdays, holidays and milestones, sometimes it takes great effort to remember that these little gifts will one day have a mind of their own...and greater still...a path of their own. And then one day you wake up and it's time to start thinking about things like college vs. technical school vs. (dare we say it?) setting aside conventional thought and going straight into the plans God has for your child.

I'm not a parent that was blind-sided by my child's passion to serve Him and live out her giftedness. But if I had been, I guess I'd have to trust His leading and call upon her life. I'm not a parent that fears inner-city ministry. I'm thankful for documentaries, books and compassionate leaders that have opened my eyes to the gifts that people living in deep poverty have to offer to willing learners.

I'm by no means a perfect parent. Although I set aside my fear for her safety long ago, as the days quickly drew nearer for her to fly, the doubts assailed me. But I know I serve a God who laid down His greatest Gift for me, so how could I offer any less for those that need to know His Love and selfishly ask her to stay home?

From the first day that I saw Mission Year mentioned on The Simple Way's website, until the day she boarded that plane to Atlanta, it has been an absolutely beautiful journey to behold. Watching Abbey struggle with fear and overcome her doubts, the sometimes palpable stress of the unknown and using her specific gifts and passions to raise funds...only her Abba could be more proud than her parents have been. Her journey has already inspired many...including her own Mama.

I have repeatedly been awed and inspired by this Millennial Generation that is drawn by the Holy Spirit to abandon what my generation was told would give them comfort and ease. I love the Millennials, their passion, their devotion, their heart for service.

It's funny, when you think about "letting go"...I guess the peace is found in knowing that she was never mine to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment