Monday, August 11, 2014

She's Ready to Fly


Almost two years ago, Holy Spirit gave me a very clear vision of one day watching our daughter, Abbey, walking down an airplane terminal as she headed off to serve God. I didn't know where. I didn't know when. I just knew as certain as my soul belonged to Jesus, that it would happen. I even saw myself weeping...not out of fear or grief...but in awe,  praise, and wonder at a God who allows us humans the privilege of participating in His Kingdom work. 

When I had this vision, I barely knew of Shane Claiborne and had not read his life-changing book. I did not know that you could visit The Simple Way in Philadelphia, a place that Shane and his friends started right out of college. I did not know they had a Hospitality House where you could stay in the neighborhood where TSW seeks justice for the poor, serves the widow and the orphan, and loves "the least of these". 

When the Spirit gave me this vision, I did not know that while researching this trip to Philadelphia and The Simple Way, that they would recommend a group called Mission Year that seeks justice for the poor while living simply and in intentional community amidst some of the toughest neighborhoods in some of our biggest U.S. cities.

I had no clue when I first learned of Mission Year, that less than a month later, I would have breakfast with one of the men who created Mission Year, Bart Campolo. I also didn't know how that unexpectedly insightful conversation would refine not only my mission, but how our entire family approaches ministry and mission.

When the vision began, I could not possibly know that my "Abbey, you should check them (Mission Year) out", would fan the flames of an 18 year old's desire to serve Jesus, love people in His Name and serve in intentional community with other young adults who want to live out the Gospel with hands and feet on broken pavement in our deeply impoverished urban environments.

I could not have known then, the blessing of watching the Beauty of God at work...seeing Abbey struggle through her fears, her doubts, her concerns if she could live up to the commitment...and watching His grace and Love wash over her again and again.

I did not know then that when she pushed that "Submit" button and committed the next year and a half of her life to raising awareness,  fundraising, and fulfilling that mission year that she would be assigned to live in Houston, Texas beginning on September 5th.

I did not know nearly two years ago that the phrase "She's ready to fly" would play over and over in my mind...almost unconsciously at times...never making the connection.

And how could I know, that as we plotted and planned how we would rent a car and drive her to Atlanta for training, Mission Year would specifically ask that she fly to begin her journey when the day finally arrives.

When the reality of how God had orchestrated all of these events to call a young woman into His Kingdom work caught up with my awareness, I could not help but tear up at His compassion, His mercy, and His grace. I know He gave me that vision so that I could boldly accept His will for Abbey and release her into His care and His provision when the time was upon us.

I know we aren't always given such amazing clarity with every choice laid before us. I guess I'm not only thankful for when He does give it...I'm at a place where having experienced this, I know I can trust Him the next time He does. 

***************************************************

If you'd like to follow Abbey's Mission Year to Houston, Texas, you can find her blog at

No comments:

Post a Comment