Monday, August 18, 2014

Natural Bridge State Resort Park, Slade, Kentucky


For the last few birthdays and Mother's Days, I've been breaking from our family tradition of "going out" to a restaurant and trying to be more creative and intentional about doing something I really want to do. Today is my birthday. And since my husband's only day off is Sunday, and yesterday was the last free Sunday for our family before Abbey leaves...I decided that my goal for the summer to start hiking/walking more had been delayed long enough.

The whole day was an adventure...from the check engine light coming on in the van, to hauling my out-of-shape body up the steep incline, to the amazing view we beheld once we were there, the very wet descent back to the bottom and the van not starting as we headed home and the final, "If anyone has to go on the way home...you'll have to hold it in, because we are not stopping this van!"...I would not have traded one single moment of it!

God is amazing and I know He prompted my desire to see this park together for the first time. Four of us have been there previously, and as one final send-off-of-fun, He granted us this wonderful day.


The weather forecast was sketchy and the hiccup of a check engine light could have scared us into staying home, but Dale and I were both a little unusually risky and threw caution out the window before we headed south on the two hour drive. 

After an uneventful drive, we arrived to hot, humid conditions and a nearly empty park. It was overcast and without breeze until we reached Natural Bridge. We had to stop for the old folks (mostly me!), a couple of times, but the effort was more than rewarded.

Both times I've seen this, I cannot believe it's Kentucky.


I came away inspired to explore my adopted home state more. She really is gorgeous.




Our kids are not used to simply sitting and enjoying nature, so we had a few that were antsy to start the climb down. We lingered as long as we could, but when we saw storm clouds moving in, we began the trip back.



We stopped a few places on the journey down to goof off and attempt to take some dry photos. As one wanted us to hurry up, and one was frustrated over the rainy hike and they all got tired of hearing their mother exclaim, "Be careful! It's slippery!" I recalled that three of the most exciting adventures I've ever had with these kids have been when we were caught out in the rain. There's something rejuvenating and yet relaxing about a rainstorm. God nourishes the Earth, which in turn does it's part to feed and care for us. I'm not trying to wax philosophical, it was just a good old-fashioned walk in the rain. It reinforced my desire though to stop living my life hidden away in our home and to get out and live the Adventure!



When we were very wet, sticky and sweaty, we found this wonderfully, cool cave.





No comments:

Post a Comment